advice on cleaning kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lady Mck
    there are so many different cleaning products I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good all round kit..shampoo..wax etc... and has anyone used "Shinearama" website? they seem to offer a lot. this will be hubby's job so want him to have all he will need to make my car look good!!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Ah right then, flexes fingers........
    Ok, fairy liquid, gritty sponge, one cold water filled manky bucket.....................

Sorry, couldn't resist, as you can tell i'm the last person to advise anyone on cleaning cars however, don't panic, the keep it clean mob will soon be here with loads of advice

Lady Mck
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Ah right then, flexes fingers........
    Ok, fairy liquid, gritty sponge, one cold water filled manky bucket.....................

Sorry, couldn't resist, as you can tell i'm the last person to advise anyone on cleaning cars however, don't panic, the keep it clean mob will soon be here with loads of advice
    ha ha now that's what he would have used but not on my mini!!

GCA3N
    Alan is right on many levels there. You have come to the right place BTW

If I am honest it is really down to budget there are so many products out there it is daunting even to the experienced. Ian King really is the guy who can give you the best advice IMO tell him what you want to spend and he will tell you what's best.

Myself I use mostly Meguires and autoglym products with some automart stuff too. I find autoglym (AG's) stuff a good compromise on performance and cost, I'd say the same for meguires too although it's a tad more expensive.

If you can be bothered there are loads of threads on this topic within the forum so have a wee look through too.

Lady Mck
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Alan is right on many levels there. You have come to the right place BTW

If I am honest it is really down to budget there are so many products out there it is daunting even to the experienced. Ian King really is the guy who can give you the best advice IMO tell him what you want to spend and he will tell you what's best.

Myself I use mostly Meguires and autoglym products with some automart stuff too. I find autoglym (AG's) stuff a good compromise on performance and cost, I'd say the same for meguires too although it's a tad more expensive.

If you can be bothered there are loads of threads on this topic within the forum so have a wee look through too.
    cheers mate! I had a read thru some posts and have some ideas..we have auto glym shampoo and polish but was unsure about wax?? have never used it or should I say hubby hasn't..is it easy to apply by hand? and what about chrome?? bit confused there as we bought autosol(?) but not sure if can be used on all chrome trims..so many questions you'd think I'd never had car but have been used to dirty,big 4x4's not shiny happy mini's

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mck View Post
    cheers mate! I had a read thru some posts and have some ideas..we have auto glym shampoo and polish but was unsure about wax?? have never used it or should I say hubby hasn't..is it easy to apply by hand? and what about chrome?? bit confused there as we bought autosol(?) but not sure if can be used on all chrome trims..so many questions you'd think I'd never had car but have been used to dirty,big 4x4's not shiny happy mini's

I use Autoglym super resin and meguires NXT tech wax for the body and chrome, TBH wash your chrome work with what ever your washing the car with( I use megs gold class shampoo) Then use the super resin on the chrome work too. Comes up a treat, also works well on the gloss black plastic A pillars etc too.

For the alloys I just clean regularly with warm soapy water then coat in poorboys wheel sealant. Keep the break dust to a minimum ie clean regularly and you won't need harsh cleaners to take the dust off.

I use autosmart trim ultra on the black matt trim work at the bottom of the body work.( keep it away from the paintwork though) I have tried loads of stuff and easily found this the best imo. Augogylm trim stuff is quite good too but for me needs re-applied quite alot.

For the tryes (ie side walls) I use either the autoglym trim or the chemical guys trim gel also very good.

One other thing for removal of stubborn tar spots etc on the car autosmart glue and tar remover is amazing.

TBH best thing is trial and error some products suit some folks and not others.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GCA3N; 30th August 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Car
    R55 Cooper S Clubman
    I have just bought Meguires #16 wax and find it to be good, it goes on well and is easy to take off without leaving any powdery residue

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Dito on the Meg’s wax. I think for the price it’s a good product and easy to use. I bought the Meg’s Hyperwash 5Lt and its still going strong after three years for washing. Lets not bore you with Foaming as its just too much fun and as your hubby is washing your car..

For loads of info and a good read go to
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Also I have used Tim at http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ and always had a first class service with quick and reliable dispatch and packaging. Price wise Tim is usually spot on and if anything I’d rather pay a few quid on a bigger order knowing that it will be right and will arrive.

Also I don’t want to suggest your Hubby washes your car poorly but after reading so much on the various sites I now wash my car completely different from say five years ago.

If you do it wrong as the other know it damages your paint. Drying your car right and using the right Mit and technique is key and I consider myself amateur hobby washer that try’s his best.

If you have a powerwasher its fantastic to rinse the car crud before you even go near it.

The AG quick Glass I think is fantastic for the windows inside and clear plastics and chrome inside the car.

AG Rubber and trim restorer for the inside rubber around the doors and boot etc and door trim and plastic around the footwells.

Although the Dash gets 303 Aerospace for max protection.

Sadly I could go on and on.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

GCA3N
    Some excellent advice Stewart, especially on the wash techniques too, as important if not even more so than the products used.

Lady Mck
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav112 View Post
    Dito on the Meg’s wax. I think for the price it’s a good product and easy to use. I bought the Meg’s Hyperwash 5Lt and its still going strong after three years for washing. Lets not bore you with Foaming as its just too much fun and as your hubby is washing your car..

For loads of info and a good read go to
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Also I have used Tim at http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ and always had a first class service with quick and reliable dispatch and packaging. Price wise Tim is usually spot on and if anything I’d rather pay a few quid on a bigger order knowing that it will be right and will arrive.

Also I don’t want to suggest your Hubby washes your car poorly but after reading so much on the various sites I now wash my car completely different from say five years ago.

If you do it wrong as the other know it damages your paint. Drying your car right and using the right Mit and technique is key and I consider myself amateur hobby washer that try’s his best.

If you have a powerwasher its fantastic to rinse the car crud before you even go near it.

The AG quick Glass I think is fantastic for the windows inside and clear plastics and chrome inside the car.

AG Rubber and trim restorer for the inside rubber around the doors and boot etc and door trim and plastic around the footwells.

Although the Dash gets 303 Aerospace for max protection.

Sadly I could go on and on.
    thnaks for all the advice! I may need to re-train hubby on car washing techniques so what can you recommend...he usually uses bucket,sponges,chamois and hose to rinse
    so a new method,especially if it's better ,would be gratefully received! ..fancy coming and washing it cos he's a bit grubby!! ?