Supercharger Pulley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ayrshire09
    Hey people thinking of getting a 15% or 17% reduction pullley for my cooper s but was wondering if its worth it, is there a massive noticable difference in acceleration and feeling of power without remapping it aswell? Also anyone in or near troon got a pulley removing tool they wouldnt mind giving me a wee lend of to do it?

cheers, Fraser.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    I think it's pretty well agreed the single biggest difference you can make to a Supercharger engine is to fit a reduced pulley. Obviously a remap, air filter, exhaust system etc., etc makes a difference too, but the reduced supercharger pulley alone will make an immediate and noticeable improvement.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Don't bother with the 17% IMO, creates too much heat. To tune your S, I would do it in this order:

- GRS or GP intercooler - do this before the pulley, as a faster-spinning pulley makes more heat, and the stock intercooler isn't great anyway.
    - dave.f or JCW airbox with ITG - massive cost effective improvement
    - 15% pulley
    - cat back exhaust
    - manifold
    - bigger injectors (JCW ones are cost effective)

And after that, a cam. I would only remap it once you've done the cam, as the stock map over-fuels the car anyway. Wait until you've done all the mods you want, then remap it for that setup.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Ayrshire09
    Cheers for the replies ppl, was gonna try an hold of getting an new intercooler pretty much because I can't afford it at the mo tbh, think it would be a problem not to change it? How much bhp realistically will a 15% pulley add to a r53 cooper s? Does fitting smaller pulley bring mpg down that much?

Cheers, Fraser.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I think the optimistic BHP increase is in the region of 40BHP, but, in reality it's probably around the 35BHP.
    When i had mine done in my first S i felt i got slightly better mileage due to the remap as well that made teh engine more efficient

Ayrshire09
    Was the 35 bhp just from a 15% pulley on it's own,no other mods? How much does a jcw airbox go for normally? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be thorough.

Cheers, Fraser.

Car
    R53 GP
    Definitely get yourself a pulley, had a 15% on the last black car and was blown away at how much stronger the car pulled. Also gives you a louder supercharger whine . Don't buy an Alta Pulley though imo, get yourself a Kavs Motorsport (KMT) one mate. PM me if you need the details for the company as I can get you one for £60 delivered, I got mine for £50 but there was a slight price increase earlier this year. Ambroz the owner is a legend

All Pulleys will wear your supercharger down faster and I would probably just go for the 15% as Gordon says. 16% could be good banter too though. I'd also opt for everything Gordon says, all those will work together best. Probably looking at around £500 for everything besides Mani and catback

Ambroz from KMT's car

Last edited by RyanK; 25th August 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Feck what speed was that...Does sound great all the same.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

I had a 15% pulley and Alta CAI on my cooper s. I used to drive about killie in it, that was about 4 years ago though. It was a quick wee car! Sounds awesome. I bought all the tools and fitted the pulley myself!

The pulley will give the biggest bang for buck, but with the heat generated, I would recommend the CAI and intercooler first.

Remember BMW gave the GP a bigger intercooler, and that's running an 11% pulley.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs