Turbo or not Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cooperchris
    Got a phone call today from Grassicks in perth asking if i wanted to trade my mini in for something new Not after spending all that time an money on it.

So i spoke to the better half about this an we started thinking. What can we do to make it a bit more exciting. Lets stick a turbo in it

So this is the idea we were thinking of for next year

http://www.autofashion.co.uk/mct_170_turbo.htm

Has anyone had any experience with these before?
    The company say they have been going for seven years an never blown an engine.

Im just looking for some thoughts an knowledge guys before i start saving, dont want to waste all that money if its no good. Or does anyone one know of the same product at a better price.

Thanx in advance

Chris
    Last edited by cooperchris; 5th August 2010 at 06:36 PM.

GCA3N
    Alan(gismo) is the man to ask he done a turbo conversion on his supercharged mini, I'm sure he'll be along soon with words of wisdom.

cooperchris
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Alan(gismo) is the man to ask he done a turbo conversion on his supercharged mini, I'm sure he'll be along soon with words of wisdom.
    Did he have a thread with that car?

Hogman
    Nooooooooooooooo Superchargers are the future :-)

Loads of people have looked at blowing Coopers, just isn't worth it. Gearbox can't take the strain, compression ratios are different, the Cooper S has a lot of upgraded engine internals, etc etc. If you really want to do it, get hold of a Cooper S engine and gearbox from a breakers, but even then it still won't be worth it.

Sorry to disappoint you! I drove the Janspeed 140bhp Cooper years ago, thats the limit of what you can do before the gearbox goes. Gasflowed head, manifold, intake and new back box. Quick car, sounded brilliant.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Loads of people have looked at blowing Coopers, just isn't worth it. Gearbox can't take the strain, compression ratios are different, the Cooper S has a lot of upgraded engine internals, etc etc. If you really want to do it, get hold of a Cooper S engine and gearbox from a breakers, but even then it still won't be worth it.

Sorry to disappoint you! I drove the Janspeed 140bhp Cooper years ago, thats the limit of what you can do before the gearbox goes. Gasflowed head, manifold, intake and new back box. Quick car, sounded brilliant.
    As above .................... dinna even think about it

(PS ....................... weve just saved you ££££ ....................... literally !!!!

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

cooperchris
    Cheers guys

Like a said am just lookin to make it more exciting but dont want to waste money trying

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    just take round the back roads and give it a bit of right foot thats exciting
    New sig coming soon

Gasflowed head, manifold and CAI would make a big difference. Give Janspeed a call, see what they can do. But you're still talking nearly £2k for 25bhp

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs