R53 engine rattle and squeak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Has anyone ever suffered from a rattle from the offside of their engine under acceleration? Definitely a rattle rather thank pinking.

I've also got an annoying squeak from the engine bay when setting off or accelerating, it only lasts for a second as the engine takes up the slack after the clutch is released or you get back on the throttle.

Any ideas to the above would be greatly appreciated, it's still under a MINI warranty so will be going back in at some point, but just fishing for ideas in the mean time.

Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    John,

I'll come for a wee listen at lunchtime sometime to see if I can help diagnose.... I have plenty experience of faults !!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Could be the engine mount but more likely to be the tensioner

Doug_m
    Could be the harmonic damper/camshaft damper

I had that go on mine about a 18 months ago!

The rattle returned today whilst accelerating to join the M9, but only for about 5 seconds before I tried to change gear and lost my clutch in a sort of grating banging noise and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I was only doing about 4500 rpm at the time and not thrashing it at all!

Coasted to a halt and after a couple of minutes the clutch pedal came back up, I engaged 1st and tried to pull away. I was met with another crunching banging noise and no drive.

Collected by MINI Emergency and taken to Menzies.

I bought the car on the 2nd March last year and the warranty runs out at midnight tonight.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by jdl_1967 View Post
    The rattle returned today whilst accelerating to join the M9, but only for about 5 seconds before I tried to change gear and lost my clutch in a sort of grating banging noise and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I was only doing about 4500 rpm at the time and not thrashing it at all!

Coasted to a halt and after a couple of minutes the clutch pedal came back up, I engaged 1st and tried to pull away. I was met with another crunching banging noise and no drive.

Collected by MINI Emergency and taken to Menzies.

I bought the car on the 2nd March last year and the warranty runs out at midnight tonight.

Holy sheet John..... That ain't good... Get a call into mini customer services to explain the problems just I'n case they fight the issue.... Always good to have a time line

cooperchris
    Hope you get it sorted mate

We had both our clutch and gearbox go on us at seperate time, Got the gearbox done under warranty but had to fix the clutch ourselfs. Same as you(pedal hit the floor, came back up and nothing) Lucky for us it happened outside the house.

You'll be back on the road soon bud

Cheers Chris, what had happened when yours did this?

cooperchris
    Quote Originally Posted by jdl_1967 View Post
    Cheers Chris, what had happened when yours did this?

The clutch just gave up. Got it replaced an was fine after that

Thanks Chris