Rear View Mirror Vibration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Test Passed
    Car
    Chili Red Cooper D
    Hi,
    Hoping for some advice. Just got a new cooper diesel (two weeks old) and when its at the 2000 rev mark the rear view mirror vibrates quite a bit - doesn't matter how good the road surface is. It sorts itself again when it goes past the 2000 revs mark. I'm going to take it back to the dealer but wondered if anyone else had a similar problem with their R56 and if it was easily sorted, the mirror has the auto-dimming thing.

The car seems to sit nicely at 2000 revs at 70 so it's a wee bit irritating.

Any help much appreciated,

Vicki

They all seem to be doing it at the moment my 2007 model Cooper D never but my new 2010 model (March built) does I have looked on a few forums and it is becoming a common problem however the guys that have reported it have not got very far. BMW know about it but have not come up with a fix yet. Let me know how you get on my Cooper D has a more worrying clutch problem just now and is going in to get the gearbox dropped and clutch fixed on the 23rd August
    2011 Mini CooperS COUNTRYMAN with CHILLI PACK in ROYAL GREY , 1998 Mini COOPERSPORT in BRITISH RACING GREEN

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    New Cooper D would assume a wee warranty is in place here , time for a wee phone call me thinks if yer no happy

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Test Passed
    Car
    Chili Red Cooper D
    Quote Originally Posted by ajamesj View Post
    They all seem to be doing it at the moment my 2007 model Cooper D never but my new 2010 model (March built) does I have looked on a few forums and it is becoming a common problem however the guys that have reported it have not got very far. BMW know about it but have not come up with a fix yet. Let me know how you get on my Cooper D has a more worrying clutch problem just now and is going in to get the gearbox dropped and clutch fixed on the 23rd August
    Took the car into eastern on wednesday - they're ordering up a new part as they say some sort of ball part is loose in the mirror. Fingers crossed the new mirror will fix the problem as it was doing my head in - weird that it's only at 2000 revs though. Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.

Will let you know how I get on.

Test Passed
    Car
    Chili Red Cooper D
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post
    New Cooper D would assume a wee warranty is in place here , time for a wee phone call me thinks if yer no happy
    No problem - they agreed to fit a new part under warranty no bother. I also had a paint defect in my wheel arch which I had spotted when I was washing the car at the start of the week (the car's first wash)and this is getting sorted too - new arch to be painted and fitted next week. Here's hoping there's not a third thing!

It was a bit weird though at the dealers - the car was clean and they still put a hose over it.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I always say to the dealer not to clean the car. The valeters use a sponge and the bucket of soapy water has cleaned the ten cars before yours so is full of grit etc.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    I always say to the dealer not to clean the car. The valeters use a sponge and the bucket of soapy water has cleaned the ten cars before yours so is full of grit etc.
    Yeah I told JC's not to clean the car as it had a proper 3.5 hour clean on te outside the day before. It was imaculate, and when I picked it up, they'd take a hose to it. I was livid. I went back in and said, at what point does your cleaner not think yeah this car does not need a clean? I was just greated with a blank facial expression....UGH!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by cat1spot View Post
    Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.
    I was one of the “this sport button” is a waste of space brigade until I went on some of the Mini runs, especially the Twilight Run (aka) Highland Tour and found it a very nice peace of kit that just made the drive so much better.

Kept pulling out after a stop on the run and if I had forgotten to press it back on after a few miles I was thinking “Whats up with the car it feels wrong”

It’s very subtle with the heavier wheel and sharper response so don’t expect it to turn the car into a rocket ship or really appreciate it about town.

Right I'm away to see if my rear view mirror vibrates at 2000 rev's cant remember if it does. Good for you getting it fixed.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by cat1spot View Post
    Took the car into eastern on wednesday - they're ordering up a new part as they say some sort of ball part is loose in the mirror. Fingers crossed the new mirror will fix the problem as it was doing my head in - weird that it's only at 2000 revs though. Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.

Will let you know how I get on.
    I believe the only thing the sport button does is sharpen the throttle response and reduce the power steering making you feel more intouch with the road.(ie feel stiffer) Neither would or should effect vibration. (There may also be a change in the ECU settings, unsure about that though)

Test Passed
    Car
    Chili Red Cooper D
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav112 View Post
    I was one of the “this sport button” is a waste of space brigade until I went on some of the Mini runs, especially the Twilight Run (aka) Highland Tour and found it a very nice peace of kit that just made the drive so much better.

Kept pulling out after a stop on the run and if I had forgotten to press it back on after a few miles I was thinking “Whats up with the car it feels wrong”

It’s very subtle with the heavier wheel and sharper response so don’t expect it to turn the car into a rocket ship or really appreciate it about town.

Right I'm away to see if my rear view mirror vibrates at 2000 rev's cant remember if it does. Good for you getting it fixed.
    Unless you never looked in your mirror you'd know if you had it -it was like going over the bumpiest road surface you can think of multiplied by at least 10 . Will take the car for a wee shot up the M90 tomorrow and give the sport button a try to see what it's like.