Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a happy bunny the night why o why did I spec a black roof. Yesterday afternoon bird poo on roof so got home cleaned it off and then this morning got MINI out of garage and the roof is marked

Tried MEG ultimate compound also scratchx 2.0 but its still there about 3 inch round mark also while doing the roof I used meg cleaner wax and hav went and scratched it from back edge of passenger door right to the windscreen u see swirl scratches in certain light

Do I need a machine polisher or alot more hard rubbing will this eventually take the scratches and bird poo out and what would i be best using ultimate compound doesnt seem to work ???
    2011 Mini CooperS COUNTRYMAN with CHILLI PACK in ROYAL GREY , 1998 Mini COOPERSPORT in BRITISH RACING GREEN

GCA3N
    oh, dear, me thinks some machine polishing. I removed 2 bird dropping stains from the wifes car using my Megs polisher. Even with it, it still took a bit of effort. Maybe if you speak nicely to Ian King he might have something for you.

A friend has a MEG polisher but been always worried i may go right through to the bare metal or am I never going to get anywhere near bare metal lol
    2011 Mini CooperS COUNTRYMAN with CHILLI PACK in ROYAL GREY , 1998 Mini COOPERSPORT in BRITISH RACING GREEN

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Andy, I've used a megs dual action polisher tool a few times on our red MINI and I've never thought it was close to metalwork. I'm sure Ian King has said in the past that MINI's paintwork is pretty thick and pretty tough so as long as you don't go daft leaving the machine on the same area for a few minutes, you should be fine.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

What cutting compound should I use just the MEG ultimate compound be ok

Doug_m
    Don't know much about megs compound but the other day I used menzerna final finish on my bros Beemer for the same problem on a polisshing pad and it came out no bother.
    Hope that helps. You won't need a compound with alot of cut

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    I've only ever used Menzerna Final Finish. I'm really no expert when it comes to machine polishing.

Never really had to get any bird marks out of paint, although I haven't given the cars a good detail for a while and I bet there's gonna be some marks on the cars when I do.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I feel your pain I have two small round spots on my black roof but the car has to be spotless and in the right light to see them and even then you have to look hard. I was annoyed at first but decided you can’t see them unless you’re two inches away and well its part of the course.
    I do get the poo of as quick as I can; I even took a bottle of Scottish rain water down to North Yorkshire in case one of those seagulls got me.

I did use a final finish polish too and it did help but its a lot of work and it was still there just not so bad looking.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ajamesj View Post
    A friend has a MEG polisher but been always worried i may go right through to the bare metal or am I never going to get anywhere near bare metal lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ajamesj View Post
    What cutting compound should I use just the MEG ultimate compound be ok

I used a polishing pad and a megs polishing compound. The gauge on the side of the bottle said 6 (goes from 1-10, 10 being for more serious damge etc) Sorry I cant be more specific than that.

As far as going to the metal then you would find that very hard to do with a dual action polisher, infact you would probably have to polish the same section for hours on end to do it. LIke I said before I the mini paint is classed as hard and it will take a good bit of effort to remove scratches and marks like yours (atleast thats what I found) So you should be able to give it a go with out any fear of damage. There are loads of good instruction videos on you0tube too so watch them also.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    You would have to go some to remove paint with a dual action machine. Its almost impossible to do.

I personally think its also very difficult to fully correct mini paint with one of these machines.
    I would try using a polishing pad with the meg ultimate compound on the machine going over the whole roof at say speed 5 then using a clean polishing pad and use something like menzerna final finish to remove any of the polishing trails left by the compound, again going over the whole roof. Biggest tip is to take your time. Cutting a mini roof will take about an hour and then say another 20 mins to refine with the final polish.