world cup 2010

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    As a member of the Tartan Army, I suppose my feelings can be guessed at...

I can only really relax and enjoy a tournament when England have been knocked out. Nothing against the English, I've lived there in the past, and still have friends there. But it's the media and the hype that gets to you, and once they're knocked out its much more relaxing to watch, knowing they can no longer whip themselves into a frenzy.

The comedy hatred of the Germans bothers me as well - it's ok for them to want the Germans to lose (based on a war in the past that is nothing to do with football), but not ok for us to want them to lose?

It's not racism - don't mind the English, just don't like the England football team. And I might respect them a bit more if they could find their own anthem, and not hijack the British national anthem.

Rant over!

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    As a member of the Tartan Army, I suppose my feelings can be guessed at...

I can only really relax and enjoy a tournament when England have been knocked out. Nothing against the English, I've lived there in the past, and still have friends there. But it's the media and the hype that gets to you, and once they're knocked out its much more relaxing to watch, knowing they can no longer whip themselves into a frenzy.

The comedy hatred of the Germans bothers me as well - it's ok for them to want the Germans to lose (based on a war in the past that is nothing to do with football), but not ok for us to want them to lose?

It's not racism - don't mind the English, just don't like the England football team. And I might respect them a bit more if they could find their own anthem, and not hijack the British national anthem.

Rant over!
    Some very good points raised and I know what you mean about the English frenzy. I do feel though that a home nation in the competition is a good thing though. Let's be honest if they won we would possibly stop hearing about 1966....yeh right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Greig but you'll have to add me to the 'I HATE FOOTBALL' camp...

Quote Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
    Sorry Greig but you'll have to add me to the 'I HATE FOOTBALL' camp...
    Ditto
    Stephen & Allyson

The Dogfather
    The frenzy happens in all countries that qualify, it's just patriotism, not a dig just an observation having been on holiday in Spain during a world cup.

As for the national anthem, there is only one official anthem for all the UK nations. As far as I know 'Flower of Scotland' isn't official (yet).

Can I also add that the rivalry between England and German has more to do with recent competitive results at European and World Cup finals than the war despite what the gutter press print.

We beat the Germans in 1966 but since then they've beaten us in 1970 (QF), 1990 (SF), 1996 (Euros), twice on penalties.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 10th June 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    As for the national anthem, there is only one official anthem for all the UK nations. As far as I know 'Flower of Scotland' isn't official (yet).
    That's my point - the perceived arrogance of adopting the UK anthem for England. Scotland, Wales have found their own, why can't England? Leave the UK anthem for UK sports (Olympics etc)

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

The Dogfather
    Please explain how using our official national anthem is arrogance?

Scotland and Wales have chosen to use unofficial anthems to emphasise their own national identity.

edit: you might also want to have word with the Kiwis as well, they have two anthems one of which is God save the Queen
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 10th June 2010 at 12:24 PM.

The Dogfather
    also those pesky Canadians have been using it unofficially as well

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    Greig

I think football is and am also looking forward to the World Cup. I have a certain wager with a Mr William Hill that England will win, but their current form suggests this will be difficult...

Also have the might forces of Nigeria and Japan in the work sweepie...

Andrew
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

It's Britain's national anthem, not England's. Therefore it shouldn't be used. It blurs the lines between Britain and England, like UJ's with England on them.

I just think they should get their own, and not use the collective UK anthem.