The Daily Commute - Car or Bus?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kren__
    Well my enlightened employers have recently decided to kick all of us plebs out of the car park at work and give all our spaces to management types. This gives me a dilemma. Do I continue to take the MINI in to work, parking it on the streets around my work or do I bite the bullet and start to take the bus in to work?

I live 22 miles from my work so there are upsides to taking the bus. Less miles on my car, therefore less wear and tear. Not having to deal with the idiots who seem to clog up the arteries of our road network for no purpose than to annoy the rest of us would also be a bonus.

However I'm not really a public transport kind of guy. I love driving so much that the thought of losing my daily fix frankly disturbs me. I also like the convenience of coming and going when I please and not being stuck to a timetable.

I keep putting off making a decision, so I thought I'd turn to you guys. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone got a similar dilemma? What would you do?
    Last edited by Kren__; 1st June 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Delboy
    Taking the bus would do my nut in . I'd much prefer to use my car - you just need to find a decent parking spot then make sure you arrive early enough each day to get the same space .

Move house!

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    MINI Countryman
    I've taken the bus to work now for 10 years.....and hate it......were the same, only the big boys get spaces these days.

Its funny to look in the garage at work though....guys earning well over £100k and driving awful motors.

The only thing good about getting the bus is you can sleep/read the paper.....

The Dogfather
    Cycle and get fit

Kren__
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Taking the bus would do my nut in . I'd much prefer to use my car - you just need to find a decent parking spot then make sure you arrive early enough each day to get the same space .
    Aye looks like ma best option at the moment, but means a 05:45 start to get in for 06:30...

Mon the fish
    Move house!
    Aye did that - went the wrong way though and moved further from work, hence ma current problem... (seemed like a good idea at the time)

Pot007
    The only thing good about getting the bus is you can sleep/read the paper.....
    Hmm sleep, almost sold me there...

The Dogfather
    Cycle and get fit
    I'd probably have to get into blood doping to survive 44 miles a day...

Fairy
    To hell with the bus - MINI all the way!!
    I drive a round trip of 70 miles a day to/from work and although the miles on the MINI are creeping their way up at an alarming pace, I dont think life would be worth living if I couldn't drive my MINI every day! just my opinion

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Where is home? and where is work? cos that makes all the difference.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    could not do with out my driving but i don't have a choice as have to drive for my work but i hate public transport full stop so it would be driving for me
    New sig coming soon

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    To hell with the bus - MINI all the way!!
    I drive a round trip of 70 miles a day to/from work and although the miles on the MINI are creeping their way up at an alarming pace, I dont think life would be worth living if I couldn't drive my MINI every day! just my opinion
    lucky you i use mine 1/2 a week at the most Christine uses it every 2nd week for work so she drives it more than me
    New sig coming soon