NMS Modding vs Tradition Contd

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Baz I done what you suggested and search MT. Now are you sure you are not falling under the spell of James from FOM. From what I understand he is a TWAT and the threads I had a quick glance over he was involved.

only really this thread.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f10/...01/index6.html
    Last edited by Scottie; 10th May 2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Cooper Coupe...

The Dogfather
    Hi Baz, when I moved back to England I decided to create a NMS for the North of England because I was too far away from the runs in Scotland. I modelled the NM site very closely on NMS as I wanted to capture the same 'community spirit', I also saw it as the yardstick as far as success was concerned.

The Twilight Run was something I always tried to organise when I lived up in Turriff but the calendar was always full up with runs (mainly Craig's ) but eventually I managed to get a slot. I've always seen the Tour as a joint NM/NMS effort, its a great way for me to see my old friends and drive the roads I love. A run is only as good as the company, and last years was a cracker because of the people who came along.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 10th May 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Car
    R53 GP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    Have a search on Mini Torque for NMS and see what they think.... opens your eyes!
    Think this is just because of a feud a certain member has (or used to have i should put it) with the site. Don't know what happened, don't really care to be honest...but it's all been forgotten as far as im aware. No beef lol.

I just jump from forum to forum. Only reason I closed my thread on here is because it was mostly filled with comments in which came across as no one wanted me to own a gp as I was destroying a ltd car. At the end of the day there are 2,000 of the cars...they are not that rare imo.

I have no problems with anyone, even though most probably think im a tw@t with my internet talk

GCA3N
    deleted.
    Last edited by GCA3N; 10th May 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    I do see what you're saying Baz, however, the bad-mouthing NMS was getting on that particular thread is directly related to an argument between Alan (Gismo) and James.

I hope Alan heads over to view that thread as it really just reaffirms his reasons for withdrawing FOM sports sponsorship.

It's just not my place to give any details here, but I can assure you James is not being as open and honest with MT members about what happened as he should be. As I'm sure everybody is aware there are two sides to every story.

Mods:
    The Gismo Man (Alan) is the site owner.
    Me & Lenore and Craig are Admin - sort of a mod with extra site maintenance control access.
    Big Gordy is a moderator - although I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he seldom waves his mod wand.

If the majority would like a re-fresh, I'd be happy to stand aside. If I'm honest, right now I am facing a massive crisis within my own business and don't have the time I used to have.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what the site raises in sponsorship and where that is spent as it has nothing to do with me, that is a business decision for Alan.

As Greig says, the runs and meets side of the site is what drives the site in the virtual world. Lenore and I used to organise 3 or 4 runs a year - as did Craig. In fact Craig is still organising events this year and Lenore and I are organising 2 or 3 events this year. If I'm honest, we simply don't have the time to organise more than this.

This site lives and breathes by the input from it's membership. As much as I don't agree with everything you (Baz) are saying, discussions like this are the best way to fix things before we end up with a MINI2 situation.

And at the end of the day we ALL share one thing in common.... a passion for MINI.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    Hi Baz, when I moved back to England I decided to create a NMS for the North of England because I was too far away from the runs in Scotland. I modelled the NM site very closely on NMS as I wanted to capture the same 'community spirit', I also saw it as the yardstick as far as success was concerned.

The Twilight Run was something I always tried to organise when I lived up in Turriff but the calendar was always full up with runs (mainly Craig's ) but eventually I managed to get a slot. I've always seen the Tour as a joint NM/NMS effort, its a great way for me to see my old friends and drive the roads I love. A run is only as good as the company, and last years was a cracker because of the people who came along.
    Valid points Paul, I also think there is a lot NMS can learn from Northern Mini too. I don't post often on Northern but read the forums everyday and i love the spirit the place has about it as you keep it fresh and market the site. I also love how the members have your site as their signature on other forums... how much loyalty does that show its great!

My point is i think we should concentrate on having something to be proud of, shout our name a bit louder as we have a lot of things we do well. We wont get there however if members are putting people off. Lets bring back Arbroath to how it was, lets bring back Manky Thrash but to do this we need numbers and people willing to run it.

As for falling under James' spell - what does that matter? If i was Joe Blogs on that forum the damage has already been done as i would come to a conclusion about NMS without visiting. Thats whats damaging our reputation on that forum.... there is more posts you find day to day but you cant search for 'nms' to see them all.

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    I do see what you're saying Baz, however, the bad-mouthing NMS was getting on that particular thread is directly related to an argument between Alan (Gismo) and James.

I hope Alan heads over to view that thread as it really just reaffirms his reasons for withdrawing FOM sports sponsorship.

It's just not my place to give any details here, but I can assure you James is not being as open and honest with MT members about what happened as he should be. As I'm sure everybody is aware there are two sides to every story.

Mods:
    The Gismo Man (Alan) is the site owner.
    Me & Lenore and Craig are Admin - sort of a mod with extra site maintenance control access.
    Big Gordy is a moderator - although I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he seldom waves his mod wand.

If the majority would like a re-fresh, I'd be happy to stand aside. If I'm honest, right now I am facing a massive crisis within my own business and don't have the time I used to have.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what the site raises in sponsorship and where that is spent as it has nothing to do with me, that is a business decision for Alan.

As Greig says, the runs and meets side of the site is what drives the site in the virtual world. Lenore and I used to organise 3 or 4 runs a year - as did Craig. In fact Craig is still organising events this year and Lenore and I are organising 2 or 3 events this year. If I'm honest, we simply don't have the time to organise more than this.

This site lives and breathes by the input from it's membership. As much as I don't agree with everything you (Baz) are saying, discussions like this are the best way to fix things before we end up with a MINI2 situation.

And at the end of the day we ALL share one thing in common.... a passion for MINI.

A.
    Surely then NMS should be open with it's own members and let us know whats going on? I was shocked to read that on another forum having heard nothing about it here we only have one side of the story... I realise that our side of the story needs to be heard but until it is that's causing our reputation damage. Having been a part of setting up Northern Mini and watching it grow i think we would benefit from being much more transparent with the membership like they are.

If current mods are needing a break then im sure there will be other people willing to take some of the strain. I often feel it's not fair the same people get left to organise runs and maybe they deserve a break. Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Maybe it would a good idea to rotate moderators every so often so that we are always getting fresh ideas and fresh enthusiasm not that I'm saying anything is wrong with current moderators they seem fine to me.

maybe also an idea to have a couple of the youngs guys as moderators we could always vote on members that have been put forward to become moderators

on my other site I had a trouble getting good moderators then one new member came on to the site who was clearly a walking encyclopedia on the model and every post was detailed informative and helpful and only after maybe 50 posts I asked him to consider becoming a moderator and excellent one he is, what I am saying it's not always the established member that makes the best moderator an open mind I think is required.
    Cooper Coupe...

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    Im personally looking into resurrecting the Manky Thrash as i loved this run.
    Excellent Baz make sure i'm at home LOL, i'd love to do that one.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Maybe it would a good idea to rotate moderators every so often so that we are always getting fresh ideas and fresh enthusiasm not that I'm saying anything is wrong with current moderators they seem fine to me.

maybe also an idea to have a couple of the youngs guys as moderators we could always vote on members that have been put forward to become moderators

on my other site I had a trouble getting good moderators then one new member came on to the site who was clearly a walking encyclopedia on the model and every post was detailed informative and helpful and only after maybe 50 posts I asked him to consider becoming a moderator and excellent one he is, what I am saying it's not always the established member that makes the best moderator an open mind I think is required.
    Some good ideas there scottie