NMS Modding vs Tradition Contd

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    I can't think of a more ringing endorsement of the hospitality of Scottish people and the scenic quality of our roads than having an English "club" come up here for a weekend run. I certainly don't see how that puts NMS in a bad light.

Although you could see this as me engineering the parting shot, and that's really not my intention, but if you want to slight NMS any further, can I suggest you raise a topic in the Feedback forum rather than in Stoney's thread regarding modding a GP.

A.
    Hold on I think 'slighting' NMS is a bit harsh?! Only airing opinion that seems to be shared by a few of us.

Firstly it puts NMS in bad light as surely should it not be us organising it in our home country?

Only raising these issues as clearly people have been put off from staying on the forum and no club is in the position to lose members.

I think the place needs a shake-up, bit of marketing drive, new members - the kinda feeling it had when Callum had the time to put into the site back in the day.

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Delboy
    I must say that I'm a bit surprised to hear that NMS has an "anti-modding" reputation in some quarters . I'm a fairly new member but have been on a couple of runs and I've never, ever, got that impression about NMS or its members (and I'm an ex-Subaru Impreza driver so modding was the norm for me ). In fact, I felt kind of out of place at first having a standard car since almost everyone else had modded their Mini to some degree (sorted that now though ).

Yes, some folk think that standard is best, especially with special editions, and I can understand that although I don't personally agree with it. However, I don't feel the need to remap my Clubbie so that it is faster, or lower it to satisfy the "wheel gap police" , but other people might prefer doing that to their Mini rather than powder coating their alloys matt black or fitting a new stupidly short aerial like I have!

The point is, I believe that there is a great variety of tastes in NMS which make it a very interesting forum and club, and one which I have enjoyed being part of and have benefited greatly from over the past year since I bought my Clubbie. I'm sure that many of the newer members like myself will feel the same - hopefully they will confirm below .

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    And what reaction did you get wanting to paint your alloys black? lol Hmmm

I realise most cars on hear are modded and personalised thats why i cant understand some of the 'opinions' in the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post

Firstly it puts NMS in bad light as surely should it not be us organising it in our home country?
    I think that is a bit unfair Baz as the Highland Run was something Paul wanted to put together way back in the day on NMS but for whatever reason it took a few years for it all to come together and what do you know it turns out to be the best Mini Run.

Still think there are a good few runs put together by the usual NMS members, yes maybe the interest in them has dropped slightly but that's down several factors i.e fuel prices, been and done that run, to long a day or whatever.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Hold on I think 'slighting' NMS is a bit harsh?! Only airing opinion that seems to be shared by a few of us.

Only raising these issues as clearly people have been put off from staying on the forum and no club is in the position to lose members.

I think the place needs a shake-up, bit of marketing drive, new members - the kinda feeling it had when Callum had the time to put into the site back in the day.
    Baz I'm not sure why it should be us organizing a run in Scotland. We already do that with a fair number of successful runs attended by a healthy number of members.

When Craig organizes the Oxford run, I can't see Northern MINI members or MINI Torque members bitching that "we should have done that, it's in England". I realize that's not the best example as there are no MINI plants in Scotland, but I still don't see how/why (and I'm presuming you're talking about the highland tour) NM's run puts NMS in any kind of bad light.

A shake-up, marketing drive, new members.... agree 100%. Who's gonna pay for it? Have you noticed the site is a bit thin on commercial sponsors just now? And it's nothing to do with members not supporting sponsors, it's all to do with the recession and the fact that all commercial enterprises are having to look very carefully indeed where their marketing bucks are spent.

However, it's not my site, it's Alan's (Gismo) and I'm sure he'll be along soon enough to add his comments.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Delboy
    And what reaction did you get wanting to paint your alloys black? lol Hmmm
    Nice one Baz! Wait a minute though, didn't you say "no" to begin with .

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Because a run of that caliber in Scotland you would think should be a thing the home club should be proud of! Maybe its just me lol its like the FA Cup getting played at Hampden!

Who's going to pay? The members should that's how any club works! Northern Mini gets by charging sponsors £3 a month. We get alot more than that from John Clark alone so why is none of it spent on marketing. Why do we not have a presense at the dealership?

Northern Mini has business cards etc

Not doing this to 'slight' NMS - im raising these issues to make things better. Have a search on Mini Torque for NMS and see what they think.... opens your eyes!

GCA3N
    I do feel Baz has good points here and as a long serving member is in a good position to see how the site has changed over the years and his points warrant a discussion at least. Maybe a shake up or some ideas to freshen things is a good idea. What does seem to be at the forefront is the drop in run numbers, I am going to every run I am at home for because that's one of the best bits about NMS IMO, I think a lot of members need to start supporting them more (where possible). There does seem to be less people on here, but that could be me picking that up wrong.

If nothing else then I think the moderators need to get together and discuss the club's future (apologies if this is already been done).

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Nice one Baz! Wait a minute though, didn't you say "no" to begin with .
    Didnt comment on the thread Del lol... was only after i said i thought it wouldn't go at the time but after seeing it really works well.

Nice try tho

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    If nothing else then I think the moderators need to get together and discuss the club's future (apologies if this is already been done).
    Even a mod refresh? They should be like a committee and have someone from every angle and leading events discussions. Mods Mini owners to MINI owners , Young owners to Anci...(Mature) owners..... even sponsors having more say.

Actually... who are the Mods?