19,000 for ALL brake pads and discs!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I get less than 18k out of my JCW brakes all round...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    A wee update...

Been to a local independent garage today and asked them to give us an opinion on the brakes. It seems the rear discs are actually quite badly scored on the inside of the disc especially. He got me to rub my finger on the inside and I can see what he's talking about. Hardly any pitting but there is definitely uneven scoring there so I accept they need changed. The rear pads are OK, but probably best to change them if changing the discs. He reckons the front are fine. They have a few months left, but probably not to the end of the year. The pads are more worn than the rear though, so we "should replace those at the same time as doing the rear."

Whilst none of that is music to our ears, at least they took the time to explain why/where they need replaced instead of just relying on a computer telling them.

Going to get this indy to do the job as it will save a bucket on labour costs.

Now it's decision time....

Do we just get replacement MINI discs/pads or are there better quality or more durable discs and pads available from aftermarket manufacturers?

Kind of fancy these from GT Tuning, but no idea if they will fit an R56. I'll give Roland a call on Monday, but in the mean time has anyone used these?

Any other options we should consider? There are EBC grooved discs on eBay for £125. No idea how good they are, or if the £125 is a good buy or a rip-off.

All input appreciated.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

The R56 Cooper S setup is effectively the same as the R53 JCW. From what I've seen, a cost-effective way of improving is to get the JCW slotted/drilled discs, with Mintex M1144 pads. A more expensive (and better) way is to get Carbotech XP8 pads, and Nitrac discs - this is what I'm thinking of doing.

See here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...ts-brakes.html

From what I've read, the Porsche kit is good, but a total waste of money - you don't see that much improvement over something like the Carbotechs.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I would recomend staying away from the EBC discs Andy but that's just a personal opinion as I had lots of trouble with them on my Mondeo.....went through 2 sets in 18 months due to them warping Both sets were replaced under warranty but had lost faith by then There green stuff pads are good tho
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    Cheers Gordy.

A.

Car
    R53 Cooper S jcw
    when my brakes needed done on the old coop i replaced them with standard discs with green stuff pads. much beter than standard!
    i really like the green stuff pads, didnt realise how good uprated pads are untill i went back to standard jobs on my current car.
    although this time around with the S ill be doing the pads and discs!
    not sure what combo yet.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    You guys must all be HEAVVVVVVVVVY brakers

I managed to get to 55K on original front pads from new. Rear pads are STILL original factories and discs are likewise

I must be a 'gear box stirrer'

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    I think it's because we don't use the car enough tbh.

I had a look at Craig's rear discs yesterday and they are plenty thick enough, smooth and look like they have plenty mileage in them. Ours by contrast, are rutted to hell and are noticeable thinner. My theory is that because we don't use the car enough, corrosion builds up and then when we do blow the cobwebs off it, it takes a whole pile of steel off as well, giving uneven scoring and reducing the thickness of the disc disproportionately over what would normally happen if we used the car on a daily basis.

That said, you don't use yours much..... but you're is kept indoors right?

A.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Interesting theory chief. Now that I don't use the MINI as a daily runner I may see a difference, but then again 'yup' I'm 'garaged'

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Resident old yin.
    My mate's wife's car (Peugeot 206CC) needed new year pads well before the fronts. He could not understand this until he bought replacements and realised that there is far less pad material on their rear pads than there is on the fronts.

Wonder if this is the same with MINI?