test drive on r50

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    cookie9561
    had a test today in a 55 mini cooper,blue with white roof,milage was 40,000,no documented service history but with few phone calls found out car had been serviced in nottingham from where it was bought,oil service at 9000,then brake fluid change at 16000,then oil service at 26000,so now due a service again,fiat dealer selling car,drove well but god was it a hard ride on the 17 in runflats,really put me off buying it,wants 7995 which i think is the bmw price with all beneifits that gives,any views guys as im in 2 minds now

Car
    F56 Cooper
    There is no denying it the Mini’s are dear, you could get a brand new car for that price. But then if your wanting a to Mod your car then the Mini has so many options. I to find the ride outrageous I feel every bump on the road, but as others have done they have spent the £300 quid on quality normal tyres and say it improves the ride no end and even feel better on the road.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

cookie9561
    ye i agree about the the point you make about price of em but theres nowt out there that i really fancy,they drive great,dunno if l would be too much into modding thing as lm bit too old i think ha ha,always been into driving more and the mini has that thrills in spades really,take it i can just change the tyres when they are done for normal ones then

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie9561 View Post
    ye i agree about the the point you make about price of em but theres nowt out there that i really fancy,they drive great,dunno if l would be too much into modding thing as lm bit too old i think ha ha,always been into driving more and the mini has that thrills in spades really,take it i can just change the tyres when they are done for normal ones then

As said the ride quality on the 17 inch runflats is pretty poor and hard and alot of folks change to the non-runflat tyres. There is nothing you need to do it's basically the same size but just not a run flat.

As far as the mini then your only going to get a go for it here and everyone would be right. I am a newbie to the scene (3 years) and love them to bits and for me there is nothing else. They do come with their baggage though and as said you can buy alot more car for less money. I think though you won't regret buying it what I would recommend though is a good warranty mini's, dare I say it, have had a few niggles over the years (atleast a 1000 stories on here) so get a good warranty that will cover all major mechanical parts. This will give you peace of mind when, no sorry, if there are any issues.

Sorry to blabber on but you will love it when you get it.

cookie9561
    ye think your right about warranty thats why lm hesitant to buy when its not a bmw warranty,its same price as jc ,s in dundee are asking for a 05,better warranty,service history etc,like you say they have their probs which concerns me but chance you take i suppose

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    i have run my s on 17" with run flats and then changed them to normal and the ride improves a lot but is still hard but if u want a car that handles then you have to have it a bit stiff
    New sig coming soon

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Keep an eye on the 'For Sale' section on here.....there are usually a few up for sale...infact Ivan's selling his right now http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1649157.htm
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Ivans is a great buy, loaded with JCW stuff and VERY well looked after !

Don't cut yourself up over getting a BMW warranty - check out Warranty Direct, see how much it would cost to take out your own warranty, as an insurance policy - that's all it really is. Most dealers buy a warranty from someone like that anyway.

Oh, and buy the Mini...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Ivans is a great buy, loaded with JCW stuff and VERY well looked after !
    Lovely wee Cooper! And 'enthusiast maintained'. I know what I'd go for... The fact that the one at the FIAT dealer has no DOCUMENTED service history would worry me a bit. Why not? Phonecalls are just heresay. BTW if you don't like a pretty hard ride - don't buy a MINI on 17's.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!