19,000 for ALL brake pads and discs!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Our R56 has just been in to Vardy for a TLC service. When we arrived they stuck the key in the wee reader and it told them all that was required was a brake service???? So, they checked the brakes and it seems I need new discs and pads all round. Now I realise these are wear and tear items, but for them all to require replacing after just 19,000 is shocking. Refused to have them replaced and we're going to take the car to an independent garage and get a second opinion on them.

I've had a look at the discs and they look fine to me, but then, I'm no expert.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Delboy
    I agree Andy, that is shocking. I also cannot believe that your rear discs need replacing at this mileage and that they are done at the same time as the front discs since the front brakes do most of the stopping.
    Think you are right to get a second opinion.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I agree Andy, that is shocking. I also cannot believe that your rear discs need replacing at this mileage and that they are done at the same time as the front discs since the front brakes do most of the stopping.
    Think you are right to get a second opinion.
    Well, here's the strange thing... They reckon the front ones have another 3k on them, but the rear ones need replacing now. What worries me is they seem to be just going by what the cars on board computer is telling them. How in hell the cars OBC can tell when the pads/discs need replacing I really don't know. They say the rear ones are quite pitted. I've looked at them, and unless I don't know what pitted discs look like, they look fine to me.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Defo get a second opinion from a non BMW garage

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    dose the R56 not have pad sensor on them witch in turns lights up a warning light on your dash my r53 jcw has this
    New sig coming soon

Car
    R56 JCW and various race MINI's
    i even got 20k out my impreza rear brakes, the fronts however ( we wont even go there )

theres no way your rears need replacing! they do F all

euan
    There was a rumour (and I stress that's all I heard!) that BMW dealers are doing this as a way of "topping up" your service costs. An example - my old 3 series apparently needed brakes, I didn't let them do it. They had the car 2 months later for some other work and it was never mentioned, I asked (not mentioning the previous service!) and they said "no, your brakes are fine". So I'd be getting a second opinion!

I'm fully expecting my Audi to come back saying it needs new pads next week, but i actually do think they need doing - cross drilled and massive discs - eek!

GCA3N
    Andy I took of my calipers and pads on mine doing the clean on them last week and there is a wear sensor on them. What I would say is thoughI have done 21k and the computer says there is 6k left on them. I looked and theres loads of pad left.

I have had this though a few times before from garages and it is an easy way for them to get a lot of money for little work. As you know I done the pads and discs on my R50 mc and in total they cost me about £100. Took me 2 hours to do all 4. The garages will charge you double for the parts (atleast) then charge you a £100 an hour for some "technician" getting paid £7 an hour to change them.

I seriously doubt that your discs are worn that much, however if the pads have gone down to the metal then they could have scored the discs and in there lies the problem. In times gone past the disc would have just been skimmed flat and put back on now they just throw them away.

I had a company car a while back and put it in for it's service and had a similar report come back (Reg vardi was the dealership) Even although the service was fully paid for by the company I queried the report and said I'm taking it for a second opinion. I put the car in to another garage for a check over asking them specifically for a report on the brake discs and pads. When I picked the car up they said there was only a very small ammount of wear and everything was fine.

So I think you should defo get a second opinion. I hate hearing things like this because, and I know we are not all handy men, so to speak but it is so easy to change the discs and pads on a car it's unbelievable. I am not saying everyone should just try as it is an important part that has to be done correctly, I just wish I was closer by and I would come over and do it for you.

Hope it all works out Andy, keep us all posted.

The Dogfather
    My brakes needed replacing at 20k, the front pads were worn and had scored the discs. The one of the rears also had scored, quite badly in fact so the whole lot had to be replaced.

I put it down to too many trips over Hartside. I got the whole lot replaced with OEM parts for £120 less than what BMW wanted by going to a local independent who services my TT.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Doubt they need replacing Andy.
    However the rears on yours may be pitted due to being an automatic and you not having to use the hand brake as much.
    However they could be cleaned up instead of being replaced.
    Easiest way to try and get rid of the pitting and clean them up would be to find an empty straight section of road. Get up to about 50mph and floor the brakes. Do that a couple times and that should clean them. If the rears still dont clean then drive along at about 30mph and click up the handbrake a couple clicks for a couple seconds.

Pits will be like tiny rust spots on the face of the dics.
    My rears looked like that after the winter salt and not driving fast enough in the bad weather to use the brakes hard enough that the rears would kick in. Cleaned them up using the 50mph method mentioned above. Thought I would have to strip them down but they are fine now.