19,000 for ALL brake pads and discs!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I keep mine indoors, do 3k miles a year, and I'm onto my fourth set of pads and discs all round. I've done 60k in total... Front tyres last about 8k miles. Dammit it's an expensive little toy!

I read somewhere years ago that rear discs can rust easily, due to the lack of use they get. I probably over-compensate for this by using the handbrake to clean them more than I need to

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I had early rear disc / pad replacement (under 20K) on my first R50 and my last R56 Mini (they were worn to stage of needing replaced)
    My understanding is that it is due to using the car on filthy, salty country roads (the kind I commute to work on) in winter where rear brakes are hardly used by all the salty dirt builds up and rusts & scores them.
    Not so much of a problem on cleaner, faster main roads?
    I was recomended to regularly use the handbrake to stop / slow the car, where safe to do so - straight road and no one behind you. Did this regularly on my second R50 which I had for nearly 3 years and over 40,000 miles and had no problems. Got out of the habit with my R56

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Thats interesting Duncan, thanks for your input.

Maybe give the hand brake thing a wee try and see if it helps on the new discs and pads.

A wee update: Got four new disc and pad sets sitting in a box downstairs waiting to be fitted by a local garage. We went for the drilled and slotted discs from MINI. As usual site sponsor JC's looked after us - many thanks David!

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Im sure I also suggested to you the handbrake trick as well Andy, honest it does work and will prolong the life of the rear discs.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Im sure I also suggested to you the handbrake trick as well Andy, honest it does work and will prolong the life of the rear discs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Doubt they need replacing Andy.
    However the rears on yours may be pitted due to being an automatic and you not having to use the hand brake as much.
    However they could be cleaned up instead of being replaced.
    Easiest way to try and get rid of the pitting and clean them up would be to find an empty straight section of road. Get up to about 50mph and floor the brakes. Do that a couple times and that should clean them. If the rears still dont clean then drive along at about 30mph and click up the handbrake a couple clicks for a couple seconds.

Pits will be like tiny rust spots on the face of the dics.
    My rears looked like that after the winter salt and not driving fast enough in the bad weather to use the brakes hard enough that the rears would kick in. Cleaned them up using the 50mph method mentioned above. Thought I would have to strip them down but they are fine now.
    Indeedy you diddy. Sorry missed that.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    Mini R53 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    As usual site sponsor JC's looked after us - many thanks David!
    A.
    Andy,

Glad you got them, and many thanks again for using myself for parts