Aerial screw thread size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4

We bought a new aerial for our blue MINI. Same aerial that Craig has on his MINI:

However, the screw thread size is smaller than on our Blue MINI. We wondered if the R56 had a larger screw thread than the R53. However, MINI Ecosse (Stephen) also bought one for his R56 JCW and his fits. So I called champion MINI Guru David at JC's (poor wee fellah is still on his holypops but he still looked into it and called me back - top man!!). It seems there are two screw thread options for a MINI.... 5mm and 6mm. The aerial comes with a 5mm thread, so I can only assume our car has a 6mm thread. I know, assumptions are the mother of all f***ups. Our car has a sat nav, so I'm wondering if cars with a sat nav have a 6mm thread, and cars without have a 5mm thread.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

And does anyone know where we can get hold of a 6mm to 5mm thread converter? If such a thing exists?

If we can get to the bottom of this, I'll buy another aerial. Gave the last one away to a wee lad on the Mothership run. Well, he got all excited when he saw it and I had no use for it at the time.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

I'll check what size mines is tonight as Allan will be doing a couple of jobs on my car the night,
    Cooper Coupe...

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    I'll check what size mines is tonight as Allan will be doing a couple of jobs on my car the night,
    i bought one today fitted fine on mine.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post

If we can get to the bottom of this, I'll buy another aerial. Gave the last one away to a wee lad on the Mothership run. Well, he got all excited when he saw it and I had no use for it at the time.

A.
    and it was much appreciated thanx Mr and Mrs p
    New sig coming soon

Mines is also 5mm

found this on the Lohen site it seems to depend on what set up you have . hope it helps.

"Alta Short & Super Short Radio Antennas (Gen2)
    Details

With a height of only 2 or 4 inches, these billet aluminium antennas are a perfect way to give your Gen.2 MINI that subtle look. Click here for Gen.1. They achieve a great reception and they just screw right into place. All antennas are anodised black finish. Click details for a larger image.

Wide based versions of the antennas suit MINIs with built in sat-nav and/or DAB Radio and/or Bluetooth Prep out of the factory or MINIs up to and including 58 plate. Please select this option if your MINI has either of these. If your MINI has none of these select the narrow based version.
    If yours is a 09 plate with factory bluetooth, you will need a Gen1 antenna.
    Cooper Coupe...

So what you really need is an adaptor from 5mm to 6mm?
    Stephen & Allyson

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I just bought one, so the thinking is the R56's are ok if not I'll blame Mr Allan.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Ecosse View Post
    So what you really need is an adaptor from 5mm to 6mm?
    Yeah, been trying to find one, but no luck so far.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Forbes
    Can the thread come off? As I don't think youll get anything to make it 0.5mm bigger either side

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Also, dodn't forget it has to carry the signal through it, so, a simple x-over will not work