What to go for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WFC
    OK folks give me your advice. One, Cooper (not S) or diesel?

My wife (not yet passed her test) will probably use it a lot, so which one to go for.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    If you have any concerns about the insurance premium then i would suggest a ONE, but, if you want something with a bit of poke then go for a cooper, no disrespect to ONE owners .

Maybe if you gave us a bit more info, ie spec levels, money limit etc

The diesel ain't out for a wee while yet, all depends when you want it.

Let us know what you decide

Bonnie Scotland

Monsta Mo Mini
    Hi Euan - in comparison to my previous car (Fiat Bravo) the insurance for the Cooper is much cheaper and that's me and my wife fully comp with no claims protection. have you had any quotes yet?

Resident old yin.
    My ONE which is fast enough for me is cheaper to insure than my previous car a Punto

The Diesel will be cheaper on fuel but then it's going to be about £1500 more expensive than a petrol ONE so it will take a long time to make that back.

If you're not too fussed about the tiny wee bit extra performance you'll get from a Cooper then consider a petrol ONE with some extras.

Whatever you decide you'll get a great car.

Cheers, KenL

lightbody
    Have you driven them Euan? The ONE has softer suspension/more roll than mine, which has the optional "sports suspension plus" which you cannot get on the ONE.

You can, however, get the standard Cooper's sports suspension fitted to the ONE.

Wul
    WFC - Having driven both the ONE and Coop - i have a coop - the ONE is a pretty good car all-in-all - if i was doing it again i would give real consideration to buying a well specced ONE and then going for the superchip (£500) which takes it to Cooper performance levels.

Get yourself booked in for as many test drives as you can in both and take it from there - is the diesel not only going to be about 1400cc? or am i talking rubbish!!??

VFR-Ray
    The diesel shall have the 1400 Toyota common rail diesel engine as fitted to the Yaris. This engine is mated to the 6 speed box found in the Cooper S. I understand that the diesel will have a rev counter as standard, and has an OTR price of £11385 + £100 for TLC.:)

My dealer told me the Salt package still cost's £250 - but the car already has a rev counter. I assume they don't fit another!!! Dealer also thought that there is nothing to "replace" the rev counter in the Salt pack available for the diesel.:disapprove:

Calterdon, Inverness are taking orders for the diesel now, but earliest delivery would be July, car comes out early June.

Linda M
    I'd have to agree with Ken, if you're not fussed about a bit more performance (I don't think your wife will worry about that having just passed her test) then go for a ONE with a few extras. I've had a ONE for a day as a courtesy car and it was neat :)
    Willie would give you his opinion Euan but he's in Ireland, computerless on the Mizen to Malin run

WFC
    Rob I sneaked a test drive last week of a one-

my initial thoughts are to go with the one, and if I ever need the performance consider chipping it at a later date.

The cooper is a bit common now

The diesel interests me purely from an economy point of view, and the fact my other cars(other than mini's) are diesels, but not knowing the toyota engine...........

Julz
    I have to agree with Linda, I had a shot of a one and I was very impressed! The thing to do, if bothered about insurance is to try getting quotes for one of each! I would recommend confused.com cause they contact loads of companies for you!!!
    :evil.s. I'm insured to drive Robs car now!!!:evil: