Temp guage and heating?

Car
    '55 plate Cooper S Checkmate
    was out and about yesterday and all of a sudden just noticed that my temp guage was up at the red line!.. dunno how long it was like that..so started drivin so that i could pull in somewhere and turn the engine off then on to see if that done anythin but then it just sorted itself. a short while before that..i could kinda smell burning..but didnt think it was my car then that stopped too. and then last night..the heating was cold..but would then heat up again and cool down..done this a few times till I got home

is this all connected and what should i do?

cheers

Martin

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    I would check your water bottle and radatior if I was u !!!!
    New sig coming soon

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Sound to me like a faulty thermostat espicially if the car is hot then cold ... I would get it checked asap

Car
    Sitting in harry fairbairn just mow getting a new thermostat as I type..problem solved! glad my mate works here..DP couldn't give me an appointment till next week just to look at it!! everytime I go there I hate them more lol

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    well DP is about a 10 min drive and i drive for about 1h 10 mins to get any work done on my car
    New sig coming soon

Car
    Yeah I know..deffo worth the travel..and tbh it's not a massive distance from my house

was tryin to get a wee JCW to play with but they're no havin it! worth a try eh!

cheers for the help folks!