For The Black Car/Roof Owners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    garywatt
    Hi all

I am pretty sure there is a great muckle gull dancing on my roof every morning. Splattered sometimes with muck and also some of those spiderweb type scratches.

Guys, what's best for the paintwork?

Thought about that Colorcote stuff but is it eh best to get? I've got quite a bit of polish stocked over the years but looking for something that is pretty good at keeping the black colour.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Meguiars

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    <waits patiently for Wul>

Wul
    Ooh did someone say polish?

Well gary - where do we start? As a black car owner I have learnt a few do's and don'ts for keeping the black looking good and the scratches at bay!

Washing: - invest in a deep pile lambswool wash mitt such at the meguiars one - this reduces the wash inflicted scratches as it draws the dirt into the pile. A sponge simply traps the dirt on the surface and then as you wash it's scoring the paint surface :: use the 2-bucket method - one with wash solution, one with clean water - dip mitt into clean water and rinse any dirt out before putting it into the wash mix every time - this keeps your wash mix soapy, clean and reduces the chances of putting grit back on the car from dirty water :: wash in straight lines - never circles as these can cause swirls - forward to back on horizontal surfaces, up and down on the vertical surfaces :: when rinsing let the water "sheet" off by taking the nozzle off the hose/watering can :: be careful with chamoix leathers etc - they must be clean and grit free - I prefer a good microfibre drying towel and use it like a water blade/ squeedgy to force any water of the car and blot any bits left.

To get rid of your existing problems meguiars Scratch X will do the trick - it will remove the worst of the cobweb swirls and bird poo etching - for a more thorough scrub - use megs clear coat body scrub - use an applicator pad or folded cotton towel to apply, and good microfibre towel to buff up and NEVER let it dry as it's a PITA to remove when dry - a panel at a time and then buff up.

Waxes - good ones to use after a prep like above are pure waxes rather than cleaner waxes - I personally have tried the black T-cut Colourcoat stuff and thought it was pants - once the paints back in tip-top shape a coat of meguiars gold class clear coat wax or NXT tech wax will keep it looking A1 - apply sparingly with the supplied applicator pad - work in till it almost disappears, apply to the whole car in a oner leave to cure for 20mins then buff up with a good microfibre towel.

Finally - keep a bottle of Meguiars quick detailer in the cubbies in the boot with a terry towel and use to remove any bird poo asap as it will etch your paint if left on. Using it after washing between waxes keeps the shine looking soooperb too!

Hope this helps.

Phew! :)

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Wul...you're a very helpful and kind dude. A top quality bloke by all accounts. As a result I think all of us NMS members should club together and see if we can't buy you a life. It's the least we can do. :)

garywatt
    Wul

Thanks for all that. Much appreciated.

I've had a look on their website and will try to get an order off this week.

Felling a littel guilty, the weekend just passed is the first one I have not washed/cleaned the car since I got it :I

Cheers

Gary

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I'm going to print that off and keep it...........just in case :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Wul
    Big Col - your kindness knows no bounds!

Gary - check out www.speeding.co.uk or www.seriousperformance.co.uk for the megs range with free postage :)

Car
    R56 MCS
    Got black roof and took wuls advice. What can i say...the mans a demi god!

Wul
    :I