MINI CVT - SLAMMED By Autocar and What Car

lightbody
    Autocar has a brief feature on the MINI ONE CVT this week completely slating it for having <15mpg fuel economy around town. They checked with 2 seperate cars after a reader complained about it - they think BMW were deliberately hiding this from them.

I've always thought for such a small car the MINI was appallingly uneconomical, but the CVT seems to take it to a new extreme!

Woz
    What are people getting from their manual coopers? We dont have the comp so the car does not tell us but it does not feel that thirsty to me. We have done 950 miles now and only put in about 88 ltrs on top of the initial load.

Autos are always going to drink more and around town even more so.

3GGG
    I get between 31 and 36 mpg with my manual Cooper. Would have to be stuck for 15 minutes with the engine running to get 15mpg!

lightbody
    Around town, if having fun, its down around 20mpg. The trouble is my induction kit which only makes a noise when the pedal is more than halfway down...

Currently on holiday in the highlands and its showing 39mpg.

Sponsor & Jakey
    I manage to average around 35-36mpg in me Coop :)
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

lightbody
    by around town i mean never exceeding 30 and stopping ever few minutes. I live in the city centre dont you know!

lightbody
    Reading What Car at lunch in WH Smiths, as you do, and they have another article on the dreadful fuel economy of the MINI CVT.

A reader has a Cooper CVT and is struggling to beat 12mpg around town.

It seems to me that there is a BIG problem with the CVT that MINI/BMW are hiding - especially if you read the full story. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these just now.