New vBulletin Software........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    ............is getting released sometime in Q4 2009.
    They have finally released a beta version on their own forums after much complaining from other vBulletin owners.

It's a radical new change and is offered at a reduced cost to exisiting owners but, no software was available for download or could even be seen.
    I was very reluctant to purchase the software before i could see it in action, the sale date was the 30th October and no idea when the actual software would be available.

HOWEVER, vBulletin have installed a beta version on their site and i must say even the forums look very neat and tidy.
    Included in the new release will be a blog and CMS which will be fully integrated to the forums making the front end very customisable.

What does this mean for NMS, well, not much unless you folks want it to be.
    I expect over time and once the bugs have been ironed out i will install the blog and CMS.
    This doesn't have to be used by anyone, it's a one time log in and you can just stick to the forums or branch out and see what teh rest can do.

Of course the layout and colour scheme will need tweaked to get the current colours back but overall it'll be a nice improvement and freshen things up a lot.

To not upgrade at this time will cost a significant amount in the future due to the license structure changing and then the lack of support for our current version.

All in all, it's early days, but, just to advise that changes are coming

Edit: Read this myself and it sounds like i'm asking for money, which i'm not

Ally S
    sounds good. i've worked with vbulletin software in the past and was very impressed with what it can do and how powerful it is.

for the CMS and custom front pages I used vbadvanced but im guessing a lot of that functionality has now been absorbed into the main forum software

The Dogfather
    I'm in the same boat as Alan with NorthernMINI, I'm looking at other options though..

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Alan with NorthernMINI, I'm looking at other options though..
    Not quite the same as me, you have a leased license and as soon as your subscription for VB3 series expires you must delete the software from your domain you have no renew path, you have to upgrade, so, if you stick with VB you should really upgrade now at the cheaper price which then gives you ownership of the software for series VB4 with no other payments.

You will also never have to upgrade to VB5 if you don't want to and never have to delete the VB4 version

Deadline is 30th October 2009 for the cheaper upgrade

The Dogfather
    I can upgrade to VB4 but I'm thinking about the longer term and considering other forum software

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    I can upgrade to VB4 but I'm thinking about the longer term and considering other forum software
    When does your current leased license expire?

The Dogfather
    May 2010

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Don’t know anything about this kind of stuff and NMS has always worked well for me. But one of the Forums I use just added a nifty feature.

Under your Avatar etc is Your Garage that you can place your cars in. I’m always seeing the name and can’t remember the car. Plus you can add your older cars as well.

It looks like this.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=140032

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/dto_garage.php?&do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1484

As always the work people put into these site is always
    appreciated
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav112 View Post
    Don’t know anything about this kind of stuff and NMS has always worked well for me. But one of the Forums I use just added a nifty feature
    That could be added to NMS but, that requires modifying the code and it's something i'm not really wanting to do at this stage.
    You can of course apply the same to your gallery

Kren__
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Edit: Read this myself and it sounds like i'm asking for money, which i'm not
    Just as well, you probably would've lost the entire Aberdeen contingent off the forums...

Appreciate the work that goes on in the background to keep this site going. A big