Help with tyre pressures

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Delboy
    Quote Originally Posted by doogz__ View Post
    Apparently run flat tyres, depending on size and make, carry a 15-27% weight penalty over non run-flat tyres.

That's a lot of unsprung weight!
    Thank goodness you don't need to carry a spare !

doogz__
    True, but a spare wheel would be sprung weight.

Unsprung weight is bad news. That's why race cars, and some road cars (E-type for example) had inboard brakes, to reduce unsprung mass.

Run-flats have a higher rotational inertia as well, adversely affecting braking and acceleration.

Can you tell i really don't like them? lol

Delboy
    Quote Originally Posted by doogz__ View Post
    True, but a spare wheel would be sprung weight.

Unsprung weight is bad news. That's why race cars, and some road cars (E-type for example) had inboard brakes, to reduce unsprung mass.

Run-flats have a higher rotational inertia as well, adversely affecting braking and acceleration.

Can you tell i really don't like them? lol
    Yeah, that was beginning to come across...............doesn't make you a bad person though

binnie
    Quote Originally Posted by 0004BES View Post
    The pump at Tesco is set up for 28psi as standard.
    you do know the arrow buttons will adjust this figure yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Interesting Ryan, I never run that low think I will try that when I get back see what the difference is. I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but when I first got my new mini I checked the tyre pressures and they were 48-49 psi all round don't know to this date what that was all about.

thats normally delivery pressure, in theory the car can sit around in an airfeild for months without the tyre deformingsounds like it wasn't PDI'd properly

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Bought a Michalin twin foot pump a few years back, I hate those petrol Garage ones. Got my RF 195/55/R16 87H set to 2.2 Bar or 32 Psi as the sticker in the door suggests.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

GCA3N
    Went into 3 different Tyre places today (long story short two of them would not do a puncture repair on a run flat) Anyway I asked them what they suggested I should run the tryes at pressure wise.

They gave me a print out and according to their computers, the 205/45/17 runflats (one, cooper and S) should be 36psi (front and back), and 39psi loaded. The JCW Cooper S can't remember the tyre is 39psi and 41 loaded. This is all very strange.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I should have said the figures I quoted were for the R50/53 The R56 must be different
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    I should have said the figures I quoted were for the R50/53 The R56 must be different
    Ah that's the reason for the discrepency.