JCW Steering Wheel (R53)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lowercasemark
    Hi Folks,

As an owner of an early R53 with a very worn and battered 2-spoke steering wheel, I finally had enough and purchased a 3-spoke JCW alcantara wheel and airbag on ebay. It looks great and I can't wait to get it on!

Can anyone advise if going from 2- to 3-spoke is an easy switch (i.e. could a beginner do this)? Alternatively, is there someone in the Edinbugh-Falkirk area that could do this for me at a reasonable price? If they ever returned my calls i think eastern mini would probably be quite pricey!

One final query: I currently have multi-function / cruise control on the 2-spoke and don't think that I will bother with this on the JCW wheel (the carbon inserts look better!). As I don't use these much I dont think this will be a big loss for me. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice regarding this approach?

Many thanks guys!
    lowercasemark

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I believe the airbag module is different from 2 spoke and 3 spoke so you I think you have to re-use your old airbag. I also thought there was a wiring issue with going from 2 spoke to 3 spoke which was quite a bit of work? I may be wrong tho...

best of luck getting it changed over. Its one of the things on my list..

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    the air bag is different from a 2 spoke to a 3 spoke though so you have to change the bag as well.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    He says he's got both the wheel and the airbag Ian I too Craig seem to remember there being an issue with the different airbag connectors
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

lowercasemark
    Cheers for the feedback so far guys! As Gordy says, I have the wheel and airbag; just wondered how easy it will be to switch over. I don't want to fail drastically half way through and end up with an R53 in the front drive with no steering wheel

Would anyone be able to recommend a not too pricey mechanic/garage?

Forbes
    If all fails I will buy it off you

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Did Baz not change from a 2 to a 3 spoke wheel on his last mini Maybe he will know if its a big job or not If you do go ahead and try and change it yourself one bit of advice.......disconnect the battery for at least 15mins before you attempt removal....you don't want the airbag to go off in your chops when you disconnect it do you You'll look like one of the guys in that bank commercial on the telly
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    R53 GP
    I changed from a 2 spoke to a 3 spoke and it was max 30 mins job mate. Wheel is held on by a 16mm bolt in which you will need a shifter to remove. Airbag is just 2 clips, you pop a philips screwdriver into 2 holes at the the top of the steering wheel in which will then release the clips and let the airbag fall out of place.

You will need a new airbag though, but keep a lookout on ebay and these will crop up quite often for circa £70.00

P.S Multi function buttons are expensive for the 3 spoke. As Gordy said Baz will point you in the right direction about the multi function

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
    You will need a new airbag though, but keep a lookout on ebay and these will crop up quite often for circa £70.00

P
    I finally had enough and purchased a 3-spoke JCW alcantara wheel and airbag on ebay

Good info Ryan, keep up though mate.

Car
    R53 GP
    Dohh!