Window Tints

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Quote Originally Posted by P155 ON U View Post
    sorry but that bull, they are tinited but no were near the max allowed.

You can say all you like but i know otherwise.
    Well then why are you asking for advice on tints then, if you know otherwise???

Car
    R53 GP
    I was told that you are allowed 30% tint. My windscreeen was showing that 68% light was being omitted through on the coppers machine, thats only with the mini oem blue tint on the windows. Of course he let me off with this as he knew I never tinted the windscreen.

Between 30% and 70% you get a £30 fine and anything below 30% you get 3 points, I was the latter. My fronts were only letting in 26% light, fought the case though and luckily got away with it.

P155 ON U
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Well then why are you asking for advice on tints then, if you know otherwise???
    I was asking what everyone thought looked good, or what they had. you guys are all very touchy on this subject are you not?!?!?!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4

I was asking what everyone thought looked good, or what they had. you guys are all very touchy on this subject are you not?!?!?!
    Touchy? Perhaps...

But as you're new here we're all showing an incredible amount of refrain in saying what we really think of you're attitude. Keep on with the "You call say what you like but I know better" attitude and you'll find yourself being simply ignored. At the moment it's an interesting discussion, it can turn very south, very quickly with comments like that.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

P155 ON U
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Touchy? Perhaps...

But as you're new here we're all showing an incredible amount of refrain in saying what we really think of you're attitude. Keep on with the "You call say what you like but I know better" attitude and you'll find yourself being simply ignored. At the moment it's an interesting discussion, it can turn very south, very quickly with comments like that.

A.
    well i will stick my hands up and say sorry!

C.Noble
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
    I was told that you are allowed 30% tint. My windscreeen was showing that 68% light was being omitted through on the coppers machine, thats only with the mini oem blue tint on the windows. Of course he let me off with this as he knew I never tinted the windscreen.

Between 30% and 70% you get a £30 fine and anything below 30% you get 3 points, I was the latter. My fronts were only letting in 26% light, fought the case though and luckily got away with it.
    There is def. confusion about tinting levels.

AVLT (Available Visible Light Transmission)

The machine the police use to test your tints (the tintman) measures the available visible light that manages to penetrate your screen, theoretically, if this value is less than 70% (window has at least 30% tint) you are illegal.

Bear in mind though that, even clear glass has an AVLT of 80-90%- So with non "tinted" glass you still have an effective 10-20% tint, adding another 25% tint to this glass will send you over the limit.

I checked for prosecution limits on some police force sites, and came up with this;
    https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about...%20Tintman.pdf

To summarise, this particular forces guidlines (others maybe different/stricter)-

AVLT of less than 30% (effective total tint of over 70%) = immediate prosecution

AVLT of more than 45% but less than 65% (effective tint maximum of 55%, minimum 35%) = advisory (in other words, "get 'em changed sonny!")

Hope this helps.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    well i will stick my hands up and say sorry!

Now, I know of someone in my family who had the lightest possible tints applied to his windows. A few weeks later he was stopped, checked and biven and order to remove them, then get the car checked again. So, I'm with everyone else on this one, ANY tint on the front windows will very likely be illegal.

But, if you find a way of getting a tint done and it's legal, I'm sure you'll have a load of folk interested in doing it themselves.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

GCA3N

Ok so being an ex copper I know nothing on this.

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Seems to be an issue with this comment, it looks like the author is " Craig "when it should have been "KenL"
    So, I am not the only sensible person on here

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    So, I am not the only sensible person on here

apparantly so.