Window Tints

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    You will find that the windows are already tinted as standard and by adding even the light tint it makes them illegal, I would be interested to see you friendly copper test them afterwards and if he still thinks they are ok then get it in writing just incase you get pulled over by a copper you dont know.

Gizmo, I see being a biker has changed a few thoughts as you had full tints on you grey mini :)

Car
    Mini R53 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
    I am with you all the way Alan, even worse in the dark. However I don't get how bikers are allowed to wear the smoked visors?

Sorry, perhaps the smoked visors are illegal though? It was just that I have seen Aberdeen police going about with them & it was one of my arguments when I was up in court about the 3 points I was going to receive.
    It is actually legal to wear a full tinted visor on a motorcycle helmet during the day ONLY if you have a clear one with you aswell incase of dull weather as such.

Most helmets nowadays come with both inserts or an actual built in drop visor.

Helmet visors must not be tinted to the extent that there is less than 50% of AVLT and they must bear the BS 4110:1979 or ECE Regulation 22.05 markings.
    Last edited by Livi; 2nd November 2009 at 12:49 PM.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by P155 ON U View Post
    Well i have found out some information from a friend of mine in the traffic police. Its not illegal for the from windows to be tinted. They must be 55% or more light in for them to pass and they cant charge you or make you remove them.

Going with 20% light in on the back three and 55% on the front two!

no sun strip though
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Sorry, he doesn't appreciate that the MINI front windows are already tinted to the maximum allowed, so, any extra tint is illegal.
    If he's your friend ask him to use his light meter to prove it

Alan is right the fronts are Tinted the maximum allowed under the law. You are right they cannot make you take them off, they'll just issue you with a fine everytime they stop you.

Forbes
    You are actually allowed another 2% on the front aren't you Just so there is room to play with if there is a picky cop

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by 0004BES View Post
    You are actually allowed another 2% on the front aren't you Just so there is room to play with if there is a picky cop

2% Is not much Ben. I mean you can hardly tell the fronts are tinted and they are over 50%. Would really not be worth while for an extra 2%, if you wanted to stay legal that is.

P155 ON U
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Alan is right the fronts are Tinted the maximum allowed under the law. You are right they cannot make you take them off, they'll just issue you with a fine everytime they stop you.
    sorry but that bull, they are tinited but no were near the max allowed.

You can say all you like but i know otherwise.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    as others have said, the info I gave you was taking into account that the front windows are already tinted to the legal maximum... I have tested my own windows with the "Tintman" machine and the fronts are on the limit so the info is genuine.

P155 ON U
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    as others have said, the info I gave you was taking into account that the front windows are already tinted to the legal maximum... I have tested my own windows with the "Tintman" machine and the fronts are on the limit so the info is genuine.
    well mine is no where near 55% light in so somethings wrong. The mini out the dealer ships are no where near 55%.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    well mine is no where near 55% light in so somethings wrong. The mini out the dealer ships are no where near 55%.

have you had your windows tested with a tintman machine as used by the police?

what year is your car ?

I don't know of any MINI that has front windows that are not tinted and they are all tinted at the factory to the same level have your front windows been changed over with glass from a company that hasn't had them tinted? Remember the 55% light thing is a lot less than you think. You look at the windows and think "that is only about 10-20% but it is much more..

C.Noble

I think there is a little misunderstanding or misinformation going on here... The legal limit for the drivers and front passenger windows are 70% of light to get through... windscreen is 75% below sunstrip line.

But even clear glass only lets through around 80-90% visible light at best so even a 30% tint will send into dodgy ground.

As far as I am aware (although I admit I have never tested it!) Craig is correct and the MINIs windows are very close to this 70% visible light limit.
    Last edited by C.Noble; 2nd November 2009 at 02:20 PM.