Cold start (diesel) rattle - Clubman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    The Dogfather
    I've had the latest and greatest fix but my car still makes that noise when cold, only difference is its quieter

Quote Originally Posted by rabhrab View Post
    Thanks again.
    ELFMAN, I take it you had the 'full' fix done and not just the partial fix that has been reported n here as only temporary?
    Craig, joking apart, what approach do you recommend I take with them?

I would recommend taking the car to another garage.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Thanks again.
    ELFMAN, I take it you had the 'full' fix done and not just the partial fix that has been reported n here as only temporary?
    Craig, joking apart, what approach do you recommend I take with them?
    Let's just say if it was my car I would go elsewhere.. And I invariably did. I went to Dundee, Perth, Edinburgh & Giffnock rather than go there for warranty repairs if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I had mine done on the works at Eastern. When I went in to see them about it as soon as I mentioned it to the service man he knew straight away and said that it was a recognised fault. I havent had the fault come back.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Now there's a question - I just got the latest 'Fix' at the time, which was replacing the Tensioner, and the noise has been absent since. I'm therefore not aware of the 'Full' and 'Partial' fix... scenarios. Can anybody enlighten me?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Now there's a question - I just got the latest 'Fix' at the time, which was replacing the Tensioner, and the noise has been absent since. I'm therefore not aware of the 'Full' and 'Partial' fix... scenarios. Can anybody enlighten me?
    Hi Elfman,

I had the tensioner replaced in June 2009. Car was fine for about 1 year. The tensioner was again replaced in August 2010 as the noise occurred again a couple of times. Within two weeks I heard it again.

I put it back into Vardy and they had it for 4 days. I gave them a video clip and pointed them to some websites detailing the "full fix". See here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/01/...problem-again/

Since this full fix was implemented (new chain and other parts replaced) it has not returned, fingers crossed!

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Ken! I'd need to check with Douglas Park to make sure it was just the Tensioner which was changed. Anyway, it seems OK now, so I'll just let it go and if it rears its ugly head again, I'll take it back in. DP MINI have always been fine with me and I've had no real 'issues' with the service I've received since 2001, so I'm pretty certain they'd sort it out. Great to have Faith eh? (that's the Kiss of Death...)

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!
    Well, Menzies had the car overnight and guess what? No excessive noise on start-up. They say that they checked the chain and tensioner and that the play in the chain is within limits. If so, this is the first morning for a while that the car behaved itself! I know, I should have taken your advice and made a recording of the racket BEFORE taking the car in to them. I now will have my camera with me in the mornings, ready to record the 'can of nuts' noise. Then I will get back to them. Watch this space for an update, as and when I get anywhere.,

GCA3N
    This sounds like a load of crap mate, they know that this is a known fix, damn they're on the 5th attempt at it now. Tell them you will take it to mini if they don't replace it with the latest "so called" fix. Did they think you just brought it in for a laugh.

GP BILLY
    My clubby is in Harry fairbairns getting this done, get it back tomorrow
    If all goes well.