Cold start (diesel) rattle - Clubman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by rabhrab View Post
    My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!
    It "should" be covered but I've been caught out before. Best to make a wee phone call to the dealer to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCA3N
    My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!

in a word yes I had it done on my 2008 MCS.

Resident old yin.
    Yes, it is a warranty repair.

I have had two tensioners replaced and also the full fix with new chain, guides etc. Car has been perfect since this was done about last October.

I suggest that you take a short video clip of this happening with your car to show to the dealer. This is to prevent the possibility of it going in and them not hearing it and therefore not fixing it.

I would also ask for the full repair to be done if possible. If they just replace the tensioner, my experience and that of others is that it may well return.

Originally Posted by rabhrab
    My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks
    !

Thanks for the advice guys. My date of first registration is 21/03/2008, so I guess I should get a move on with this?

Car
    Oh yes

I've just contacted Menzies in Stirling, who want the car in the night before so the engine will be cold for them to listen to the next morning. When I said to the person on the 'service' desk that I understood this was a recognised fault their reply was less than encouraging. They said it as not always a timing chain issue and that it may be to do with the oil supply. Any comments or suggestions as to how to encourage them to give me the full fix?
    Last edited by rabhrab; 15th February 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Prob best to take it to another garage...

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Douglas Park in Hamilton fitted a new Tensioner to mine last year after I had experienced the 'Tappety' cold start sound a few times. No arguments/queries and it hasn't come back since. I had to leave mine overnight too, but it seems to have done the trick.

I think MINI should carry out the tensioner fix as a matter of course, as it is so well-known. MINI's supposed to be a 'Premium' product (we pay premium prices), so you shouldn't have to be arguing the toss about stuff like this. I'd give it to Menzies and see what they say - but if they say nothing's wrong, I'd point out again that it's certainly a 'Recognised' fault - MINi are now at something like 'Version 4' or 5 of the fix! I actually had the official MINI Code for the fault/fix which I found out from trawling the Internet (I've lost it now...), but when I showed it to Douglas Park, they told me that there was an even later one available!

Anyway, why would they think you were bringing the car in if there was nothing wrong with it - you've got better things to be doing with your time!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    I've just contacted Menzies in Stirling, . Any comments or suggestions as to how to encourge them to give me the full fix?
    I could make a few, however legally I'm unable to...

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Douglas Park in Hamilton fitted a new Tensioner to mine last year after I had experienced the 'Tappety' cold start sound a few times. No arguments/queries and it hasn't come back since. I had to leave mine overnight too, but it seems to have done the trick. B]
    Thanks again.
    ELFMAN, I take it you had the 'full' fix done and not just the partial fix that has been reported n here as only temporary?
    Craig, joking apart, what approach do you recommend I take with them?