Cold start (diesel) rattle - Clubman

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Dogfather
    The rattle only affects the R56 Cooper S

GCA3N
    Like Paul says this cold start rattle or diesel rattle as it's become known as ( due to the engine sounding like a rough diesel) only effects the r56s, not sure what yours might be.

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Now I'm confused. Is there a diesel S ? I didn't know that. Not sure which planet I've been visiting.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Car
    '55 plate Cooper S Checkmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    Now I'm confused. Is there a diesel S ? I didn't know that. Not sure which planet I've been visiting.
    no..just think theres been abit of confusion

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    No diesel S. Like I said the rattle encountered on the petrol turbos (r56S) was believed to be the chain tension unit hitting the chain tensioner casing. This generally only happened on cold starts and when
    it does happen the petrol turbos sound a bit like a diesel engine starting. Hope that explains a bit more.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Also on some MINI Forums, the noise has been attributed to the oil not getting to the 'top end' of the R56 S engine quickly enough... and the noise going away (mostly) when the oil has reached the places it should. However, the Tensioner Fix seems to sort things in quite a few cases, so who knows. I've had this 'rattle' once, but it hasn't reared its ugly head since, though I'm convinced I can hear a slight metallic whirring sound for the first few minutes after start-up. I'm keeping my ear on it and have flagged it up to the dealer in case it gets any worse.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    Mine does it all the time, can't be bothered to take it in, I'll wait for it to blow up and get a new engine at the same time

Delboy
    My car has been fine since the fix was carried out as per the first post of this thread .

Resident old yin.
    Mine too has been perfect since the fix last May.

My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!
    Last edited by rabhrab; 14th February 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: grammer