Thinking of a new head unit but.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey everyone,

Ok so i am thinking about a new head unit, only problem is i need some help before i decide which one to go for.

I have the HK upgrade in my R50, as well as multifunction on the steering wheel.

But......

And here's the stupid question.

I take it the HK amp and speakers will work fine with a new head unit, but will the multifunction still work or do i need to buy a new adapter or something.

Ideally i want to play my 2nd gen Ipod touch in the car, but i am not fussed for paying £175 for the integration module just so i can control the ipod, i just want to hear my tunes on shuffle mode.

I'd rather invest the same £175 in a headunit, which maybe also has bluetooth or something, than keep the stock unit.

So, resident experts, please help me out, can i simply buy a head unit of my liking without having to worry about the HK or the multifunction not working??

Answers on a postcard, or preferrably here.......!!!!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Others have changed over from MINI Stock head unit to another whilst still keeping their HK kit. Mikey (NewMINIStuff can help and has done this before)

as for head unit, I have the Alpine 104-BTI. This has an ipod cable so you can control it from your head unit (or steering wheel) and comes with a Parrot Bluetooth hands free kit built in for your phone. Plus is has a USB port on the front AND an aux port... All for about £180 delivered to your door.

All you would need is the adaptor for the multi function steering wheel and how to connect your HK kit to the new head unit.

Best of luck

The Dogfather
    The adapters will probably set you back £70, blows a big hole in your budget.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I have an alpine adaptor for the MFSW for only £20.

The Dogfather
    Mikey lists the HK enabler at 57 plus VAT

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Just fit a Playmini and listen to that

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    You have to decide whether to keep your HK amp or not, if you do you will need the HK enabler with any aftermarket head unit you decide on.

Contact Mikey at newministuff, he'll advise regarding the ways you can go and a suitable head unit etc

Forbes
    Or Iain at Audio Advice Was very helpful with my install

mikeythemini
    If you want to keep the HK amp & speakers you will need a hk enabler, you will also need a mfsw adaptor, facia & aerial adaptors.
    We have stereos on our site & they include all the adaptors you need
    We are now Alpine dealers to :)
    http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...products&cat=4

Thank you for all of the advice so far guys, it is very much appreciated.

Well seems like it's not as simple as i thought, i honestly don't know what to do, i had selected a head unit, the JVC KD-R901 - which seems to have everything i want in a stereo, not to mention that you can set it to illuminate the exact colour of the existing interior, but at at cost of £170 - and adding in all of the other bits and bobs, am i as well just buying an ipod interface kit????