Tyres

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Car
    R53 GP
    Are winter tyres advisable? Been thinking about them for this winter after my last ONE was hellish in the snow

doogz__
    I believe it's compulsory in Germany?

I've never really bothered, i have decent quality tyres and 4WD, so snow's never really an issue.

Was more of an issue in the Clio back in Feb when we had that crazy snow though.

I know a couple of people that have different wheels and tyres for winter, but that's mostly to protect their polished wheels from the excess grit, salt, and general muck on our roads in the winter.

The Dogfather
    Depends how much snow you encounter, mind you they are better in cold conditions than summer tyres.

I fit Nokian WRG2s they are great tyres, well suited to our climate.

Its not just about keeping going as 4wd can do that, its the steering and braking that have the biggest boost

Forbes
    Wonder if I should stick some on the steelies?

Is that your winter recommendation Paul?

The Dogfather
    I like them, but never had any others to compare. Not much penalty in fuel consumption, noise or grip so I'm happy.

The Dogfather
    Had them on my MX5 and MINI, I overtook a snow plough with them on

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    so anybody used 215 rather than 205 on their MINI?

If I was going to spend about £100 per tyre, would I be better going for "good" normal tyres or winter tyres? Bear in mind that these wheels will only get used from Oct to Mar.

The Dogfather
    Mytyres stock the Nokians in that size for about £100, its what I had on both my MINI and Mx5.

If you are buying tyres for use in winter then I would definitely go for proper sports winter tyres. Its was quite funny watching the guy in his vitara struggling up the slight hill, when I was having no trouble in a Mx5.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    cheers Paul - I am leaning more to the winter tyres due to them being used only in those months and it can get rather cold up here.

Up the road I never bothered with winter tyres. Came down the road and bought some last year. Got to say on the times we got caught out going back up the road through the drummochter my eagle F1 tyres behaved fine on the snow packed roads but then I was driving accordingly.

I do wonder if I wasted my money as the roads I drive are all bus routes and are cleared when we have snow.

As for ice well no tyre is good unless your over in Norway and the ice is deep enough to run with studs in the tyre.

For the rain then well we get that all year round.
    Cooper Coupe...