Tyres

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Right, looking to get some new tyres for the winter to change the runflats off the S Spokes I have. i would keep the runflats, but when I got the car, it veered all over the road under acceleration, however with my 18's on and std tyres, no such problem. So std tyres it is now...

Having looked at the t'internet there seems to be about £10 per tyre difference between 205/45/17 and 215/45/17 (the latter being cheaper). Has anyone got the 215's on their car and does it have a detrimental effect on the handling?

I have still to make my mind up on make and model of tyre, but I really don't want to spend more than about £75 per tyre. I did think about the snowprox tyres, but they are over £100 per tyre

Thoughts required as always, including what to put on for the winter that will give good grip and now cost a fortune. I have heard great things about Uniroyal Rainsports and can get them for about £85 per tyre, but I can also get Khumo Ecsta Sports for about £55 per tyre - is the difference worth it?

doogz__
    I'm personally a bit of a tyre snob. I recently paid upwards of £150/corner for 18's for the Audi.

Having said that, in my experience, kumho's are decent enough tyres, not amazing in the wet though. I had them on the 182, and in the dry, they were as good as T1-R's, but in the wet, they were much less handy.

Rainsports are good in the wet, which i suppose is what you're after, but they get hot, quickly in the dry.

You looked at Bridgestones? Turanza's? And Vredestein is another make i'd definetely look into if i was you, they're very good, but relatively unknown.

Forbes
    I have 2x 205/40 Uniroyal Rainsports in the Garage. Little bit of tread let on them. Yours for a small fee

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Your best bet is to speak to 'The Dogfather' as he did a very in-depth study of this very issue No doupt he'll be along soon I'm sure he gave the rainsports a Remember the tyres are the bits keeping you on terra firma and to use a well known saying...'you only get what you pay for' I had Nangkang once....they were truly awful....got shot of them after 2 weeks
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Did Burple not have 215's on his mini at one time What about Federals..?? (I don't find them as bad in the wet as some folk say)
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

GCA3N
    I have dunlop sp sports usual for the R56, and they quite good, certainly the best run flats I have used. When I had my company car we had a budget of 150 per corner for our tyres (approx) and It was great to try a few different ones. The best I found were bridgestones. can remember type etc but they used to cost around the £100 mark and I thought they were amazing in dry and wet, with reasonable wear and tear qualities. Most of the garages I tried seemed to recommend them (maybe they were on commission) I think the principle of you get what you pay for with tyres never really is too far from the mark.

Forbes
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    I had Nangkang once....they were truly awful....got shot of them after 2 weeks
    They gave me a few scary moments when I had them. Were good in the dry but in the wet

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I wouldnt go any where near the federals. The road noise from them is unreal.
    Also dont think they cope with anything more than Cooper power.

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by 0004BES View Post
    I have 2x 205/40 Uniroyal Rainsports in the Garage. Little bit of tread let on them. Yours for a small fee
    thanks Ben, but I'm going for 4 brand new ones...

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Your best bet is to speak to 'The Dogfather' as he did a very in-depth study of this very issue No doupt he'll be along soon I'm sure he gave the rainsports a Remember the tyres are the bits keeping you on terra firma and to use a well known saying...'you only get what you pay for' I had Nangkang once....they were truly awful....got shot of them after 2 weeks
    yeah, I would never buy the really cheap tyres as I have had issues before with some crap tyres...

I think my budget is good enough to get decent grip in the wet and cold conditions of our winters...