Stripping Diamondbrite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    The blue MINI is now going to be with us, we suspect, until the Roadster is out in 18 months or 2 years. We both really like the look of the concept cars and hope that the finished version will be what we've wanted in a MINI for years. A convertible with a hard top!

So, after years of faithful dedication to Jewelultra Diamondbrite on several cars incouding our Hyper Blue Cooper S and our current Laser Blue Cooper S, we've decided to strip it off and go for the traditional wash/polish/wax route.

So, some questions more for "The King of Shine" than anyone, but any constructive input appreciated....

What is the best way to strip off the Diamondbrite coating? Tardis, G101 or something else?

Once it's stripped, am I right in saying I should "seal" the paintwork? And if so, with what?

I've just ordered a new tub of Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste wax for all 3 cars.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Well done sir.

You wont look back, well actually you probably will, every time you walk away from the car you will look back over your shoulder at the quality shine.

Last time I saw your blue car I thought the paint fealt quite rough.
    I would give it a foam down with an inch of G101 in your foamer. Then wash it with G101 in your bucket mixed with a bit of shampoo for lubrication.
    That should help get the most of the diamondbrite off.
    I would seriously recommend claying the blue car. I would just use either the megs white clay that comes in the clay kit (although you can now get the clay seperately for £9.99) or use sonus green. Both easy to get hold of and very mild but not too mild so will pick up the contaminents, if that makes sense.

I would then polish the car before procedding to wax. If you dont have time to run over with your menzerna on the G220 then you could polish with good old autoglym super resin. Waxing with your Blackfire will work a treat.
    Last edited by ianking; 4th September 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I’ll be interested on what you think of your wax you ordered. I’ve been using the Blackfire all finish protection that is for sealing the polish, then I’ve been using Pete 53 wax on top. It seems to bond fine but next time I’m getting the Midnight sun.

I just used AG SRP, Glaze, BF-Sealant, and Pete 53 on my roof and happy with it. Seems to bead like mad.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

After the polish I would use FK425.

My routine would be

remove DB
    Clay
    wash car again and dry me I'm currently washing using a grout sponge from B&Q (yes thats right a grout sponge)

Machine - with Lime Prime apply and remove
    Machine - polish of your choice and remove
    Machine - apply and remove CG Glaze
    Applya sealant (of your choice) by hand and remove with machine
    Hand apply and remove wax of your choice.

maintain by washing and drying and top up after every wash with a QD of your choice.
    Last edited by Scottie; 4th September 2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Cheers for the input folks.

Ian, last time I clayed the red MINI it left marring on the paintwork, which was easily removed with the G220 and Menzerna. But if I clay the Blue MINI and it leaves the same marring, will a hand polish with AG SRP get rid of the marring marks? Or will I have to G220 it?

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this now. I just hope the weather is good on Thursday as that's the target day to do the full job on the blue MINI as well as a full detail of the Beemer including applying the 303 you (Ian) suggested I get for the soft-top.

Thinking about it now, one day may not be enough to do all this.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    wash car again and dry me I'm currently washing using a grout sponge from B&Q (yes thats right a grout sponge)
    A sponge, a grout sponge?

I thought a sponge was more likely than a deep pile (lambswool) mitt to leave grit near the surface and be a risk to the paint?

What, may I ask is your reasoning to using this? Does it work better than a soft mitt?

Thanks

The Dogfather
    No, Scottie has been tiling the MINI for that unique look.

This was her inspiration

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/19406097.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    A sponge, a grout sponge?

What, may I ask is your reasoning to using this? Does it work better than a soft mitt?

Thanks
    http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ut-sponge.html

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Fi

why would you machine dodo lime prime then machine a polish.
    It should be the other way about.
    Or for a car that has minimal swirls lime prime on the machine will be enough to fix it and will actually leave the paint ready for LSP.

Andy you must not be using enough lube spray with your clay and perhaps rubbing too hard and/or not turning and nneeding a fresh surface of the clay.
    I tend to have the car soaking when I am claying. I always wash the car again after to remove any wee bits that may have stuck to the car.
    My offer of help is there if you want but I think you work most weekends and I work during the week.