coolant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    G19RNT
    hi i've noticed in the last couple of months my car seems to be using quite a lot of coolant think i've had to fill it up about 4 or 5 times with no noticeable leaks cars warranty is up next month so will have to get it looked at soon was just wondering if its a common fault

GCA3N
    I had the same thing happen to me last year in my r50 cooper. Topped it up about 4-5 times in a month or so. Then came back to it one day to find it was empty with a big puddle underneath. It turned out to be a corroded radiator pipe. Needed new radiator in the end. The garage said they had done a few mini's, apparently it was quite common. I would suggest though with yours, especially if you are not seeing anything, it may be the head gasket. Hope that helps a bit

Quote Originally Posted by G19RNT View Post
    hi i've noticed in the last couple of months my car seems to be using quite a lot of coolant think i've had to fill it up about 4 or 5 times with no noticeable leaks cars warranty is up next month so will have to get it looked at soon was just wondering if its a common fault

I am having the same problem at the moment

Going in for MOT and inspection in two weeks time.

Want to get this sorted before warranty expires at end of month.
    Stephen & Allyson

Ally S
    a common issue is the thermostat. i had mine replaced. although im still using coolant but there are no puddles.

glad you posted, i'll need to check mine in the morning

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    had this fault in my 56 coop. It was the thermostat.

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Can a tiny hole in the coolant system plug itself? Reason I ask is that after his second last major service specy seemed to be going through a lot of coolant temp gauge sitting bang in the middle. We put it down to maybe the garage haivng used cheaper stuff that had evaporated. Got some good stuff and problem disappeared. When car was in for its MOT last week mechanic said that the radiator was rotten - think that was bit of an exaggeration - with the front covered in a pink fungus. The good coolant was pink in colour so I think if its possible that the hole which must've been tiny had sealed itself. Found it bizarre but hadnt investigated further coz the prob appeared to sort itself.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Ally S
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    Can a tiny hole in the coolant system plug itself? Reason I ask is that after his second last major service specy seemed to be going through a lot of coolant temp gauge sitting bang in the middle. We put it down to maybe the garage haivng used cheaper stuff that had evaporated. Got some good stuff and problem disappeared. When car was in for its MOT last week mechanic said that the radiator was rotten - think that was bit of an exaggeration - with the front covered in a pink fungus. The good coolant was pink in colour so I think if its possible that the hole which must've been tiny had sealed itself. Found it bizarre but hadnt investigated further coz the prob appeared to sort itself.
    i guess it could if its a small hole. you can get sealant that you put in the system that plugs small holes.

lowrider
    my 2002 cooper was doing this for a while but seems to have fixed itself. How can a faulty thermostat cause coolant loss?

Single-handedly bankrupting eBay Ferengo's Avatar
    Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Well I've just noticed mine doing the same thing. Have needed to top it up 4 times in the last 6 days. So I booked it into John Clark Dundee. They pressure tested it and said there was no fault and topped up the coolant.

Next day back it's down to minimum, so I called them back and was told that this is normal and what I need to do is keep putting water in until I don't need to put water in again, and if it doesn't sort itself out in a week to call back.

I don't think this sounds right, does anyone else?

Ally S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengo View Post
    Well I've just noticed mine doing the same thing. Have needed to top it up 4 times in the last 6 days. So I booked it into John Clark Dundee. They pressure tested it and said there was no fault and topped up the coolant.

Next day back it's down to minimum, so I called them back and was told that this is normal and what I need to do is keep putting water in until I don't need to put water in again, and if it doesn't sort itself out in a week to call back.

I don't think this sounds right, does anyone else?
    I think this is normal as mine was like that. I had a leak and got air in the system and had to top it up every so often as the air slowly got expelled.