New Front Tyres

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ally S
    I'm pretty sure you cant run a mix of runflats and non runflats. I had to change all 4. The tyre fitter bought my good rear runflats off me.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    As long as they're on different axles Ally its OK to run a combination of the two Another fact that's not too well known is that your supposed to fit your newest tyres on the rear. Reason being normal motorists will find it easier to control the front sliding about than the rear......apparently
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Another fact that's not too well known is that your supposed to fit your newest tyres on the rear. Reason being normal motorists will find it easier to control the front sliding about than the rear......apparently
    But MINI motorist are no nromal motorist are they....

Plus, with the MINI - you have to be giving it BIG licks to loose the back end. It's much easier to achieve understeer than oversteer in these wee cars! Unless you are coming into the Complex at Silverstone....eh Stoney?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    But MINI motorist are no nromal motorist are they....
    Ain't that the truth

Plus, with the MINI - you have to be giving it BIG licks to loose the back end. It's much easier to achieve understeer than oversteer in these wee cars! Unless you are coming into the Complex at Silverstone....eh Stoney?
    I think the concern is that on most front wheel drive cars when you loose the back you become a passenger in the proceedings whereas if the front goes you just have to lift off and it usually comes back
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

GAJ

Plus, with the MINI - you have to be giving it BIG licks to loose the back end. It's much easier to achieve understeer than oversteer in these wee cars!
    It's surprisingly easy to lose the back end if you have new tyres on the front and old on the back, especially in the wet. Sadly, I know this from experience!

Smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
    It's surprisingly easy to lose the back end if you have new tyres on the front and old on the back, especially in the wet. Sadly, I know this from experience!
    I think i'll learn from your experience and take it easy GAJ

Well they are on and instantly - what a difference in ride quality at the front. Much smoother and don't feel as if my spine is going to break of my wheel is going to buckle over every drain cover (slight over exaggeration, but you get the point )

Absolutely pissing down of rain so haven't tested the grip levels, far to dangerous to do so. I'll wait until it's dry and the tires are properly scrubbed before judging the performance!