New Front Tyres

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Smitty
    Well I was hoping that my tyres would last the whole of the summer but the front right is know too worn (I think it was my trip rund Silverstone that put the nail t the coffin) and just noticed my front right has a big slash in the outer wall and has lost a lot of pressure

As a result - two new front tyres for me - but which are best to go for?

I had a read through iankings thread (here) which was helpful. Seems Federals could be the best bet for 17's on a Cooper or maybe Toyo Proxys. Am I right?

And i'm using this oppurtunity to ditch the run-flats!

Current running the stock Pirrelli run flats, and they will be staying on the rear for now.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I must say I've been mightely impressed with the Federals
    John Barrie, ex mini racer, recomended them to us some time ago and they don't disappoint
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    I must say I've been mightely impressed with the Federals
    John Barrie, ex mini racer, recomended them to us some time ago and they don't disappoint
    Whats the make/model of your Federals Gordy?

I'm guessing they are good in both dry and wet conditions?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Whats the make/model of your Federals Gordy?

I'm guessing they are good in both dry and wet conditions?
    I believe they are SS595 tyres mate and they will be getting put on my 17"s for winter. I believe they are great in wet and dry from what John and Gordy has said before.

Smitty
    And I pressume they aren't run-flats?

I'm guessing you chaps aren't that silly!!!?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Craigs right they're SS595
    To be honest I really don't drive it enough to pass a true judgement on how they perform but I've never had any "incidents" with them whether it be wet or dry on any of the runs I've been on
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    And I pressume they aren't run-flats?
    Correct

I'm guessing you chaps aren't that silly!!!?
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that

Smitty
    I've just phoned 3 local fitters - all have told me that they will do not advise fitting non-run flats to standard MINI wheels.

2 of them actually point blankly refused to fit the tyres, saying that they do not want to void warrenty/insurance. Am I geting screwed around here, or am I missing something?

The Dogfather
    Federals are not great in the wet but good for the price, Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are the best - review here they cost about £100

Yes, the tyre places are screwing you around, I had the same BS when I replaced mine.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    To be honest I really don't drive it enough to pass a true judgement on how they perform
    Oh yeah , like the time a few of us nipped up to Knockhill & you wee'd all over me

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination