Help to fit locking glovebox

lowrider
    I am awaiting delivery of a glove box for my r50 2002 cooper.
    I have tried to search for instructions on how to do this with no success.
    All advice appreciated, Thanks.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I am awaiting delivery of a glove box for my r50 2002 cooper.
    I have tried to search for instructions on how to do this with no success.
    All advice appreciated, Thanks.

Its an easy 5 minute job, whereabout are you? anywhere near Aberdeen?

This is a "rip" from a thread over on Mini2, search on there for install glove box cooper

Unfortunately the pics are long gone but hopefully this will help

How to install a Glove box to your Mini

Stage 1

Get the Parts

These are the parts you need

Glove Box 51.16.7.058.403 x1
    Light 63.31.0.142.519 x1
    Nut 07.13.1.472.727 x2
    Screw 07.13.6.800.784 x5

These are the major parts needed. If you want your gloves at car temperature these parts are needed.

Air regulator 51.45.7.061.468 x1
    Air duct 51.16.7.073.407 x1

Stage 2

Removal of the Shelf

Use the right tools. The screws used are safety screws and have a special head it would also be useful if the screwdriver were magnetic and fairly long.

Undo the three screws one in the back and two under the air bag.

The next step is to release the clips underneath the shelf.

Remove the top clips for this used flat-headed screwdriver to pop the clips a bit tricky. Insert the screwdriver in to the U shaped cut out don’t force it too much as the plastic may brake.

The shelf should now be free pull gently to prevent scratching anything. It may take a bit of wiggling to release but it will come.

Stage 3

Preparation for fitting

This is the quick bit look on the left hand side of the hole left there should be two wiring bundles a thick one and a thinner one. On the thinner one there should be some tape securing several loops of wire with a plastic conector this is the power feed to the glove box light its well hidden but is there.

The second bit is the only if you want the glove box cooled there is a rubber blank on the right hand side remove it.

The third step is to clip in the two blue nuts into the places shown in the picture.
    The forth step is to prepare the glove box its self at the back right is a circular blanking plate for the A/C remove and clip in the Air regulator making sure the knob rotates easily.

Stage 4

Fitting

Line-up the glove box and feed the power for the light through the top and clip in the light. Be extremely careful, as the metal parts in the light are now live. Clip it in carefully from below and slide the glove box in line up the screw hole in the back first and finger tighten.

The next two screws are the most difficult to do and are to the left and right of the glove box a magnetic screwdriver is useful at this point.

The last two screws go in the top lip.

If you don’t have the A/C your done if you do you should have one bit left the pipe this fits over the hole left by the rubber bung on the right hand side to the back of the air regulator again a bit fiddly the pipe is the right length and diameter event though it looks too big. Finished.

lowrider
    Thanks for the offer John, but I am in Glasgow!
    Cheers Martin. I did manage to find a post with pics for a left hand drive on mini2. Not sure what will arrive in total so I might need to order up for the climate control (regulator etc) parts,so the part numbers are a bonus, cheers.

lowrider
    Arrived today. As its a used part it is only the glove box and chrome handle with lock (which I will need to replace, only £24 from the stealers for a lock for my key)
    Can the glove box have climate control, duh, just read the post from Martin, yeas it does!
    As my cooper has it I take it the duct and regulator is added to the glove box during installation? No instructions so I am still looking !
    Last edited by lowrider; 30th July 2009 at 03:29 PM.