Engine warning light on!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Delboy
    Hi folks,
    Thought I'd share this with you for info and comment.
    My engine warning light came on yesterday - it was on steady in the normal orange light (apparently it can also flash and turn red ). The handbook said something like "engine malfunction affecting exhaust emissions" and its ok to drive the car moderately but visit your dealer asap.
    It was in Douglas Park in Hillington (Glasgow) this morning and they said it needs a new "electrical control unit" which, of course, has to be ordered . However, they gave me the car back to use in the meantime (engine light is off for the moment) and it's going back in on Monday.
    Has anybody had a similar fault?

Car
    motorised
    I though your car is only a couple of months old, is it?

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    s'later

Flickr
    500px

GCA3N
    It's an 08, pretty shocking

Resident old yin.
    It might just be sensor or something similar.

I've had two cars (not mini) which have had this. Both cases it was caused by a minor component and the engine was absolutely fine.

Delboy
    Yeah, I get the feeling that it is an electrical fault rather than a mechanical issue. DP also said the car is ok to drive, although I'm not going to drive it hard until the component is replaced on Monday just to be on the safe side.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Not good but your all covered under warranty, no car is perfect

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Delboy
    Oh yeah, it's under warranty.
    It was in yesterday to get the "DSE unit and relay" fitted . Went back at 5pm, got the keys, started her up and the engine light was still on . I was slightly annoyed so went straight back in and spoke to the service manager. He was actually very helpful and brought out all the notes from the guy who worked on my car - turns out they didn't actually know why the light was on as no fault codes had been stored and they took an educated guess...
    So I left the car with them for further investigation and, to their credit, they managed to find me a courtesy car to take away (BMW 116i) so at least I'm mobile for now.
    The saga continues......stay tuned .

jam80s
    I had that light come on as described on my 08 cooper, took it to John Clark in Dundee for them to check it out, was told a pipe was loose and letting in air confusing a sensor, this was a few months ago the light has not come back on since.

Delboy
    Quote Originally Posted by jam80s View Post
    I had that light come on as described on my 08 cooper, took it to John Clark in Dundee for them to check it out, was told a pipe was loose and letting in air confusing a sensor, this was a few months ago the light has not come back on since.
    Maybe I will mention this to DP .

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I know you can have problems but thats poor that you've only had the Clubman a matter of weeks.........and you've had such bad luck with the Damage etc and this.

Hope next time all goes well...

Thing is why did they not check the light was still on or is that too much to ask these days, to let you go out and the first thing you see is the light was poor.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!