Advice on Recaro Seats for R56 S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I'm very happy with my new S, but certain parts of me are missing the old JCW chairs which I had in my JCW 210 S. The standard seats in the new car are much better than the old standard ones, but still don't hold you very well at anything above moderate speeds on a good road and I find the headrest is a just bit too 'bulky' and actually pushes my head forward very slightly. Nothing drastic, but annoying at times.

I've tried the new Alcantara JCW's (thanks William!), and liked them - BUT I don't fancy splashing out two grand for two seats. I presume Recaro produce the same seat for their own market - obviously without the 'JCW' logos etc - as I'm sure I've seen them in other cars. The reason I couldn't transfer my old (non-airbagged) JCW/Sparco seats into the R56 was that I was told by the dealer that there was an 'airbag issue' and they weren't compatible, so presumably if I can find the 'correct' airbagged Recaros to fit the R56, I should be onto a winner and maybe save a few pennies by avoiding the inevitable 'BMW Mark-up'. (Think of a number and double it!). I sold the JCW seats no problem by the way, but was a bit miffed at the time.

When I have a bit more time I'll have a proper hunt around on the internet etc, but in the meantime if anybody knows what's what with Recaro re. R56 fitment with no airbag conflict (ie they just plug in to the standard airbag gubbins), I'd be most grateful for any info and advice. TA.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

japper
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    I'm very happy with my new S, but certain parts of me are missing the old JCW chairs which I had in my JCW 210 S. The standard seats in the new car are much better than the old standard ones, but still don't hold you very well at anything above moderate speeds on a good road and I find the headrest is a just bit too 'bulky' and actually pushes my head forward very slightly. Nothing drastic, but annoying at times.

I've tried the new Alcantara JCW's (thanks William!), and liked them - BUT I don't fancy splashing out two grand for two seats. I presume Recaro produce the same seat for their own market - obviously without the 'JCW' logos etc - as I'm sure I've seen them in other cars. The reason I couldn't transfer my old (non-airbagged) JCW/Sparco seats into the R56 was that I was told by the dealer that there was an 'airbag issue' and they weren't compatible, so presumably if I can find the 'correct' airbagged Recaros to fit the R56, I should be onto a winner and maybe save a few pennies by avoiding the inevitable 'BMW Mark-up'. (Think of a number and double it!). I sold the JCW seats no problem by the way, but was a bit miffed at the time.

When I have a bit more time I'll have a proper hunt around on the internet etc, but in the meantime if anybody knows what's what with Recaro re. R56 fitment with no airbag conflict (ie they just plug in to the standard airbag gubbins), I'd be most grateful for any info and advice. TA.
    Your theory should stand up, but unfortunately it doesn't. I looked at this option and all seelers of the Recaro seats ( to the same spec. ) i.e. full leather and side airbags worked out more expensive. However this was before BMW's price hike. Don't know whether Recaro have increased prices too though.

I love my full leather JCW seats and was lucky to get them new but very cheap. I wouldn't say they're any more comfortable / supportive on a long journey, but they keep you in place and look the dogs.

Good luck

japper
    BTW: You will need runners and also need coding, unless you can cope with warning lights and annoying 'bongs'

Nothing's ever simple is it? I doubt I'd go for full leather though, I prefer cloth/alcantara, as I feel it grips that wee bit better. I'll have a think about it and see if I can maybe sweet-talk my dealer at some point! (hopeful eh?) Cheers for the info anyway.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Elfman.yes Recaro do the same seats deJCW'ed they are called the sportster CS (if memory serves).But i would still imagine you would need them to be coded and i would presume that you could use your existing runners as thats all the garge do is take your runners off your standard seats and put the on the Recaros.

Hope this helps
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Thanks for that 'special' info William - I'll investigate this further.... sounds interesting though - I knew I'd seen them elsewhere as pure Recaros and I'm sure I could persuade my friendly dealer to do the coding thingy, after buying three MINIs from them in the last eight years..... 'Course I could just bite the bullet and go for the same JCW seats as yours... depending on the cost difference - if it wasn't huge I might just go for the JCW's as I know I could swap them into my 'next' R56 if and when the time comes Hmmmmmmmmm.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    When I was down at Demon tweeks last year they had the sportster CS for £630ish each (cloth) and they also had loads of other nice seats from a range of companys ie Recaro,Spraco etc etc
    Last edited by MINI William; 2nd July 2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Hi there elfman thought you said there was going to be no mods for the r56?I new it wouldn.t be long before you got started new seats m8 what will be next?clap:

japper
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Elfman.yes Recaro do the same seats deJCW'ed they are called the sportster CS (if memory serves).But i would still imagine you would need them to be coded and i would presume that you could use your existing runners as thats all the garge do is take your runners off your standard seats and put the on the Recaros.

Hope this helps
    The 'runners' transfer over, but i was referring to the adaptor runners to suit. These are around £105 per seat extra from Recaro IIRC.

They're easy enough to fit, just a bit time consuming. Took me 3 hrs, but could probably do it in 2 hrs now.

Coding is definately required.

japper
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    When I was down at Demon tweeks last year they had the sportster CS for £630ish each (cloth)
    That sounds about right, but add airbag option and runner adaptors and your looking £800ish i guess.

Many dealers will knock 15% -20% off retail meaning similar price in leather

I remember an earlier post on here or on MINI2 that showed a dealer down south that were doing them for less tha £1600 IIRC.