Runflats - What Type?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey, I'm gonna replace the 2 runflats on the front of my Cooper but I don't know what to go for.
    basically I don't know the difference between the budget, mid-range and more expensive branded ones.........can anyone enlighten me or tell me what to go for. The ones on just now are Continental.

Car
    MINI-less
    What size you looking for?

205/45 R 17 84V - thats what is on just now.

Basically want to know what the difference in look and performance is between the budget tyres and the more expensive ones...whats the wisest choice?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Wisest choice would be to dump the run flats and buy a set of normal tyres(cheaper,lighter and better grip)
    I've only experienced the dunlop and pirelli versions of the run flats and there's not much to choose between them IMO
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_dude View Post
    205/45 R 17 84V - thats what is on just now.

Basically want to know what the difference in look and performance is between the budget tyres and the more expensive ones...whats the wisest choice?

It's not always the rule of thumb, but generally the more you spend the better the tyre. I think most folks on here would agree that the tyres are one of the most important things regarding safe driving. This is the thing that keeps your car on the road. I would suggest going for one of the more expensive tyres, dunlop, pirelli, toyo, goodyear, michelin, continental, bridgestone, firestone, i'm sure there are a couple more. The dumping of the runflats is a personal choice, if you can get a garage that will fit them. In my 17 years of driving i have found that good tyres really make a difference, pound for pound though my favs of the years (although never had them on a mini) would be the bridgestone. Hope this clouds the muddy waters a bit better.

andy_cooper_s
    bridgestone potenzas on the mini at the moment. replaced them about a month ago, I had dunlops previously. Not cheap but they seem to have plenty of grip, road noise not too bad, ride is ok for RF - no grumbles from me so far (apart from the usual runflat issues!). Probably rate them better than the dunlops.

Car
    MINI-less
    To be honest I don't know if anybody does a "budget" run flat tyre

The three main ones for run flats are Pirelli, Continental and Dunlop. At the moment I have Pirelli Eufori on my car, which I think is the OEM tyre which BMW use. I have also had the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 on my last car and thought they were slightly gripper than the Pirelli's.

The Pirelli's will cost about £110 a corner (tyre only)

Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR about £120

and Dunlop SP Sport 9000 are the most expensive at about £140.

There's not much difference between the Pirelli's and Dunlop's performance wise, so if it was me I would go for the Pirelli's on cost.

(Or change them to non-runflats)

Hope that helps.

andy_cooper_s
    I was offered the Pirelli Euforis but stayed clear of them as most people had said during my "runflat research" - good in dry but suicidal in the wet (not that I can agree or disagree as I have not tried them). How do you find them in wet conditions CCM?

Car
    MINI-less
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_cooper_s View Post
    I was offered the Pirelli Euforis but stayed clear of them as most people had said during my "runflat research" - good in dry but suicidal in the wet (not that I can agree or disagree as I have not tried them). How do you find them in wet conditions CCM?
    They are far from suicidal, and I like to push on a bit. The Dunlops were better in the wet, but only slightly. I suppose it depends on how hard you drive your car. For day to day stuff, you can't really go wrong with any of the big names.

andy_cooper_s
    suppose it could have been the driver and not tyre!
    The comments put me off them even though they were cheaper than the Bridgestones. But I canny complain about the bridgestones.

As you say, probably cant go wrong with any of the big names. confused now ace dude!!