Pads and discs on the R56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Single-handedly bankrupting eBay Ferengo's Avatar
    Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    I got my front brake pads and discs replaced yesterday. I have done 20,000 miles from new and have had the car 19 months. DO you think the discs should require changing this early?

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    I got to 54000 in my MINI & there was still some milage left in the pads (not a lot mind )

I'm still on the original discs at 60K.

I reckon you should get a lot more than 20K out of discs unless you've damaged them but then again I ain't no mechanic.

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

BigStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengo View Post
    I got my front brake pads and discs replaced yesterday. I have done 20,000 miles from new and have had the car 19 months. DO you think the discs should require changing this early?
    Acording to OBC i'll need front pads at 25k ish. Don't expect to change discs then though

Resident old yin.
    My Cooper had its service at 22k miles. Was told there was plenty life left in all the pads. OBC was saying 6k miles to replacement but I doubt that is accurate.

At 20k miles I would have been asking to be shown exactly why they needed replaced.

How much did you pay BTW?

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    My Cooper had its service at 22k miles. Was told there was plenty life left in all the pads. OBC was saying 6k miles to replacement but I doubt that is accurate.

At 20k miles I would have been asking to be shown exactly why they needed replaced.

How much did you pay BTW?
    £180 for 2 sets of pads, 2 sets of discs and wipers blades.

iain cooper
    did they give you the old discs and pads ?...........what is wrong with them ?

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    No they didn't but I called Grassicks and they said there is nothing unusual about require discs at 20,000 miles nor pads. I will call JC's and speak to them.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I wouldn't be happy with that Grant...

mine goes in for it's 25000 mile service next monday and if I get told it needs pads never mind disks I will not be happy...

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    I've got to go in and speak to them tomorrow. There was some missing paper work and the computer isn't matching up with the state of the car, been told I need new back brakes in 5000 miles but the OBC says 9000. Both Grasicks and JC's have picked this and the front brakes up when it's been in. I mean I can understand pads as I am a heavy breaker (Comes from them failing on 2 previous cars) but discs was a shock. Has anyone else had discs replaced on the R56 cooper? If so at what millage?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with that Grant...

mine goes in for it's 25000 mile service next monday and if I get told it needs pads never mind disks I will not be happy...
    Craig, let me know what they say about the state of your brakes when your car is in, would be interesting to see what another R56 comes up with...

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengo View Post

Craig, let me know what they say about the state of your brakes when your car is in, would be interesting to see what another R56 comes up with...
    mine is an R50 Grant, so might be different wear rates for the discs and pads