Calling R105 Alloy owners...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Baz has mentioned in the past that his R105's were showing some signs of corroding under the lacquer. I had a wee look at his wheels on Sunday and I was shocked at how bad it was. My own R105 wheels were showing signs of this starting, with - on 2 of my wheels - a couple of tiny marks showing corroding starting. And on my other two wheels it was more noticeable with marks on every wheel stud opening.

Our Blue MINI was in Vardy yesterday for it's first service so I asked them to have a look at the wheels because "I thought they shouldn't do that". I made no fuss, I didn't bang on desks and I didn't shout at anyone or complain in any way. I just questioned whether the wheels should do that.

Picked up the car in the afternoon and was told they have order four brand spanking new alloys for us. All being replaced under warranty.

That's how it should be, but you could still have knocked me down with a feather.

We bought those wheels from Eastern just over a year ago, but Vardy didn't ask to see a receipt or even ask us when we bought them, so Baz, I would suggest you get yourself into a dealer and ask the warranty manager to look at them. It can't hurt.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Harry Fairbairn Sponsor
    Andy, As you know i had my first set of R105s replaced under warranty due to this lacquer problem. Like you, i had no problems and they agreed to replace without any argument..

However after just 18 months my replaced R105s have gone exactly the same way (only been on the car for about 1 year as was running winter wheels at the time of replacement)but i don't think i would stand a chance of replacement now as apparently you only get 1 years warranty on a replacement warranty part..

I spoke to the guy in Drivers Car accesorry Shop in Glasgow about polished rims a while back etc and he advised that they all seem to go like that as they just can't take all the brake dust/salt etc on our roads. Even Polished BBS alloys can go this way, and some of them can cost in excess of £3000.

I might lodge a warranty claim on my second set regardless to see what kind of outcome i can get. Heres hoping!

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    That's positive news to hear... think i will give it a go and see, nothing to lose i guess. Can understand they probably wont replace the kerbed alloys but if they could do the back ones it would be a help

Cheers for the headsup

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I got mine powder coated, not the cheapest option, but, for peace of mind that they wouldn't corrode any more

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    I got mine powder coated, not the cheapest option, but, for peace of mind that they wouldn't corrode any more
    I would do that but im not keen on dark wheels on white cars, i doubt you get a powdercoat finish that is as reflective as they currently are.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    I would do that but im not keen on dark wheels on white cars, i doubt you get a powdercoat finish that is as reflective as they currently are.
    Mine are gloss black

Car
    Mini Cooper S
    To put it bluntly mine are f**ked....not throu kerbing but from the lacqure coming off..the salt from the winter has really eaten away at them...looks like mine will be going down the powder coated route!

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Mine are gloss black
    Yeh i just mean the metallic look effect... when im driving at night everyone says my alloys look like they are glowing as the light reflects. Dont really want to lose that effect