Weird Rattle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Single-handedly bankrupting eBay Ferengo's Avatar
    Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Driving home last night and noticed an unhealthy rattle coming from the back drivers side. Can't locate exactly where it is though. Only happens when the car is going over rougher ground like cobbles or a pothole. Any idea what it may be?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    a loose top mount maybe or have you checked your wheel studs...?

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    a loose top mount maybe or have you checked your wheel studs...?
    Cheers, I'll check the studs but what's the top mount?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengo View Post
    Cheers, I'll check the studs but what's the top mount?
    it is normally located in the boot (near the wheel arch) and it is where the top of the suspension is secured. It is unlikely to be that, but you never know. Have a quick look under the car and just make sure that there isn't something loose...

other than that, I would get it into the garage..

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    it is normally located in the boot (near the wheel arch) and it is where the top of the suspension is secured. It is unlikely to be that, but you never know. Have a quick look under the car and just make sure that there isn't something loose...

other than that, I would get it into the garage..
    Cheer man. Am on my lunch in 15 so will check then. Thanks

GCA3N
    I have heard of 5 people this week with broken springs. I had this before and that is what is was. A small section of the spring had broken off and was lying in the spring holder. Took me weeks to find it, worth a look.

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Craig, Had a look and everything seems fine. Greig, I will take a look if I can at the springs, is it as straight forward as just looking or do I have to remove something to see the springs (I'm totally useless I know )?

GCA3N
    Just look under the wheel arch. If you put your hand under and feel where the bottom of the spring is, if it's broken it should be fairly simple to feel.

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Cool, Will try when on my break. Cheers.

I had a weird clonk coming from the front left side of my car when coming to a stop or when taking off only started after the the run at the weekend on the road home.

I moaned about it to Allan all Sunday night, drove to my work Monday the clonk got worse so he took the car in the afternoon to check turned out I had loose bolts on both front wheels. The bolts were checked a couple weeks back but he had not put them to the correct torque required for the R56 which is a 150nm, now all done and checked and the clonk has gone.
    Cooper Coupe...