New Front Tyres

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I want to change the front tyres on the JCW as really dont like the runflats on it. The car has too much power to cope with those daft tyres.

I want to get a balance between grip and tyre wear.
    Really like the look of the tread pattern on the yokohama parada but have been told that these wear out very quickly.

The toyo proxy T1R seems rather cheap so are they a bargain after all?

Anyone tried the pirelli P zero or zero nero?

Michelin just seems far too expensive so will stay away from them.

I do like to give the car a blasting but only do about 7k per year.

Your thoughts please.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Under Johns recommendations Euan and I fitted Federals and so far they've been really good in the wet or dry Paradas are quite soft but if your only doing 7K a year I don't think it will be an issue. They are soooooooooooooperb in the dry but some people ie Markyc, had some issues with there wet weather capabilitiesPirellis are a good all round tyre in my experience with regards to grip/wear. Audi had the P Zeros on originally when I first bought it Not tried the rest so can't comment. Think Craig has the Proxys
    Last edited by Big Gordy; 8th April 2009 at 09:57 AM.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

The Dogfather
    www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Good tyres - Goodyear F1s, Vred Sessanta and my choice which are epic in the wet Uniroyal Rainsports 2.

Federrals are a good budget choice but tend to be a bit noisey and aren't that great in the wet. Toyos are pants IMO, I don't know why people recommend them, maybe because they have tried anything else, I have and they don't compare that well.

The site above will give you reviews of all the leading tyres.

I'd stick with the runflats unless you are changing all four otherwise you might find the front and the back of the car taking different lines on corners.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    I don't know why people recommend them
    Their 18's are really cheap I think that's the main reason behind there popularity. I do tend to go for Yokohamas/Pirellis if I can as my experience with them has always been a positive one.
    I don't find the Federals too bad in the wet
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Car
    Thanks for the web site Vidal.

Not changing the back at the moment.
    I did stick non-runflats (just cheapy Kumo) on my Cooper front wheels whilst it had 17 inch run flat on the back and I thought it was great. It was like a different car. However it had a lot less horses.

GCA3N
    I am embarrased to admit this. When I got the GP alloys I was...shall we say bribed. I was offered free tyres if i took the alloys. Now at £125 a corner i thought not bad at all. I said i did not want crap on, am he said no no it will be a mid range tyre. When i picked up the alloys they had runways on. I asked the guy and he insured me that they were a good tyre and would serve me well. Took the car home in the dry and I thought yes these are ok, and they looked really smart, nice tread pattern and all. It's only my latter experience in the wet that scared the S&*t out of me. They have get better as they have run in, but as soon as I have 500-600 spare they are getting removed. So some good advive on what to use would help.

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    I think the Federals are spot on for a car with Cooper power.. anything more tho, and something better might be needed. I've absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the Federals, for £55 a corner, they've been spot on, wet and dry. In comparison, the cheapo tyres on the 18"s I've just taken off were absolutely shocking with any spirited driving.. twitchy as hell in the dry, and underpants replacing in the wet!! it's like having a new car with the Federals back on.
    These puppies.. SS595s

If you're looking for relatively cheap tyres.. I'd recommend these, can't really comment on anything else to compare them with tho.

Ian, I think your JCW would eat the Federals to be fair. If I remember rightly Stoney said he didn't think much of them on his beastie. That may be just cos of the power thing tho..

Car
    Happy to spend circa £100 each corner.
    Bear in mind the JCW has more than 200 horses so I think decent rubber is needed.

I love the look of the yoko parada 2 but after reading the reviews they would be no good up here due to the rain most of the year.

Perhaps uniroyal rainsport 2 would be the answer.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I think with the Paradas it has a lot to do with the weight of the car as Ross had them on his V6 MG and they performed great in the wet or dry but it is quite a heavy car compared to the mini. It will be interesting though as I have them fitted to the Kei 18's that will be on Mutley for some of the summer

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I've been very happy with my Toyo Proxies