Air con;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Resident old yin.
    Good post Purdie

Are you saying that MINI dealers should NOT be recommending an A/C service after two years at a cost of £80?

Purdie
    theres a difference in servicing from recharging, servicing includes, filter cleaning, and cleaning your evaporator and condensor coils. After just being through an a/c apprenticeship we learned that you should never connect gauges to and a/c system( even to check pressures) unless there is a fault. as soon as u connect the gauges you release gas, thus releasing pressure and the air con loses its ability to remove heat from the car. The gas has a low boiling point and as the hot air passes over the evaporator coil, the liquid gas boils off by removing heat energy from the air, and this is where the cooling effect comes from. the gas is then takin to the condensor coil (outside coil) and releases the heat energy into the ambient air. lol if the amount of gas is too little it cannot cool as required. the systems have design charges which are the exact amount of gas needed to achieve the required comfort cooling effect

sorry if im gettin confusing, carried away with it.

I wouldnt recommend changing a/c gas other than in severe cases of damage or repair. The system should be pressure tested, vacuumed out and recharged.
    Last edited by Purdie; 14th April 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Hi Purdie,

Thanks for reply. Car is going back into FK weekend after next and I will definately be sayig that to the guy and stay polite. I read that I was supposed to get documentation srtating facts and figures before and after their recharge which I didnt.

Hopefuly they will be helpful. Its not the fact of paying another £45. Its well worth that to have ice cool air. Its just worrying that it has stopped working within 10 months.
    Many thanks,
    Liam

Purdie
    No problem mate, let me know how you get on.

Hopefully a few of ous are still subscribed to this thread.

Anyways, was back at KW today for MOT and air-con recharge. Passed MOT without any work but with 2 advisories.

As for AC... They recharged it again. There were going to charge me but then I said that this was second time in less than a year so they gave me it free of charge. Unfortunately AC still doesnt blow cold air though. Had it on for 10 mins on drive home and its just blowing same cold air as not having the AC on.

I can hear a noise from the AC unit and not sure if thats normal? So there must be a fault with the unit itself. According to the KW AC machine it has no leaks. Call to BMW is my only last option i think.

2 advisories on MOT were rear right exhaust slightly corroded and oil leak. Will need to hand it in to BMW to sort all these things out and have a look at my AC when I have a bit of money :(
    Many thanks,
    Liam

lowrider
    BMW charge £80 to recharge which I think is not bad for a stealer. I would rather deal with a BMW garage than S**t Fit any day

My a/c is a bit smelly sometimes. BMW do an a/c clean for around £40. I wonder if that would cure the funky odour ?
    Last edited by lowrider; 3rd May 2009 at 06:00 PM.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    BMW charge £80 to recharge which I think is not bad for a stealer. I would rather deal with a BMW garage than S**t Fit any day
    Yes I like these miss spells
    Last edited by AndyP & Lenore; 3rd May 2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: fixing formatting