Air con;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

Not really a fault or a fix (i hope)...

My air con doesnt seem to be cold again this year with the good weather coming in. Kwik-Fit recharged it last summer and it worked great. I didnt use it all winter, but with the warmer weather past 3 days, I turned it back on to find it wasnt cold anymore.

Is it normal for it to run out of (i want to say air-con fluid but Im not sure if that is what they put in when they 'recharge' it) the stuff they put into it or do I have a leak?

I remember choosing kwit-fit because they had an offer of "if we recharge your air-con and it still doesn't work, you don't pay a penny". Does anyone know if thats still on or if any other companies have a similar offer?

Its due for MOT this month so thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. My other option is to just drop it off at the BMW garage but paranoid it will cost heaps more there.

Thanks for reading all that!

Liam
    Many thanks,
    Liam

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Sounds very much like you have a leak somewhere, best to get it checked.
    Also, try to use the air con as much as possible, by not using it actually does it more harm than good

Ano ano im wishing it did use it reguarly now. Time to get onto the phone to BMW I think.

Thanks for reply.

Liam
    Many thanks,
    Liam

Resident old yin.
    AC must be run regularly to lubricate the seals. If not, they dry out and you lose gas. At least that is how I understand it.

I would ask K-F to re-gas you as per their guarantee.

S7JGW
    I understand it the same way as KenL.
    When I got my Red Cooper recharged the garage left it on for about half an hour to an hour to pressure test and check for leaks. I would imagine Kwik Fit would do that too.
    Jim

KenL, (apologies for getting name wrong) who or what is K-F? Need as much info as possible before i get on the phone tomorrow phoning round.

I'm trying to dig out the receipt I got last year from Kwik-Fit as I'm sure it came with a years guarantee....

Hmmmm maybe not. Doesn't say anything on the receipt about a guarantee. Much would I be looking at for recharge from BMW?
    Last edited by liam.smart; 4th April 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Many thanks,
    Liam

Wheelspin Kid
    Car
    mini cooper red/white
    It was KenL who replied to your post not Kent

Sure that K-F means Kwik Fit

Sorry cant help with a price for this but think you should go back to Kwik Fit surely this shouldn't have to be done every year

Phoned K-F and they say the work doesnt come with warranty. Strange thing about it is, if there were leaks in my system, the machine they use would have said so. I read on their website that they are supposed to give documentation stating figures before and after tthe work which I didnt get.

The guy did say he would do it again for £30 if I get my MOT from there at same time though. Now whats the betting my car needs some work done to get through its MOT? Or am I just being paranoid lol ;P
    Many thanks,
    Liam

GCA3N
    got to say i am not a kwik fit fan, i have my car insurance with them and have had no probs (they were the cheapest by a long way) I get a free mot with my insurance policy and did not use it (speaks volumes) I did however take my wifes car in. You are supposed to tell them in advance you have a free voucher (no way) So went through it's MOT and guess what 2 tyres and a wiper blade. I asked the guy how much that would cost to which he replied £339 50 for the MOT, 15 for one blade and 274 for 2 tyres. I cannot tell you what i replied. Went down there via auto shop (£7 for wiper blade) I asked about tyres, and within 5 minutes of haggling had the two tyres down to 160 fitted. I have not had many good experiences with kwik fit, but it could be a local thing, i am sure that there may be others who are better.

Purdie
    Hi sorry I'm an a/c engineer although not with cars but, it is possible that the aircon may not have been given the correct charge of gas. Go back to kwik-fit and make them recharge it. The a/c system should be vac'd out to remove moisture so it doesnt damage the compressor (you cant compress water) and recharged. ( if u no any ac engineers, ask them to pressure test it for you first if you can- its a very easy procedure ). generally i wouldnt advise recharging a/c systems unless a fault as occured which has caused an escape of gas. Air con systems can run for years on the same gas. You should also use your air con regularly as if not the compressors seize up etc.
    By law you have to record gas escapes from air con and how much charge is put back in.