Foam Stuff

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    You will need lubrication for the clay bar. Mequiars detailing spray is fine for this.

I would also suggest an all purpose cleaner as that can be used for spraying under the arches, cleaning the wheels, cleaning the door checks and generally cleaning interior surfaces. I would suggest a trim gel (unless you have color coded the arches). I am using chemical guys trim gel at the moment and its great stuff. A tyre shine is also a nice thing to have , particularly if you have nice wheels as it really compliments them. Merguiars hot sine or something like that. Also a glass cleaner and thats pretty much the basics.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Alan, has your clay bar been kept sealed? What I mean is, if you bought it 2 years ago, opened it up and thought "stuff it, cannae be bothered". Then just stuck it in a your garage somewhere, it will probably have dried out. If it's been opened it will need kept in a Tupperware tub or something like that to keep the air out of it. If it's still sealed it should be fine, but if not, you'll probably need another one.

Also, on the claying side of things.... I noticed after I clayed the other day, my car was covered in blemishes. Wee (almost) holographic blemishes all over the paintwork. I wasn't worried because I knew I was gonna be machine polishing it. I don't know enough about all this to say that if you clay then wax without polishing, it will rid your car of the marks.

If I'm making sense.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    For the windaes.... Autoglym Car Glass Polish. The absolute muts nuts for polishing up glass - inside and out.

And remember to get inside the car and shut the door to do the inside properly, otherwise when you close the door and the window shoots back to home position, you end up with a 1/2" smear of crap at the bottom of the window.

A.

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Ok, i've started a wee list
    But, i know i already have Meguiars shampoo, so am gonna use that and also i have Meguiars Gold Class Polish, I have a clay bar...................somewhere and will use it, what else do i need to compliment the paintwork?

Remember, i aint gonna be doing this every week
    A cheeky wee tub of Collinite wax?? Meant to last up to 6 months
    Used it a couple of times on mine so far.. can't fault it!

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Yeah like Andy says claying can cause marring of the paint, this is more so if you dont use enough lubricant or you are pushing on the clay too hard. Only very light pressure is needed and as soon as it gets dirty turn it and roll it clean.

If you are very light with the clay then a hand polish such as Autoglym super resin will hide any marks and really it is best to give a wee polish before waxing as the finish will be much better.
    You dont need to polish everytime you wax but if you do it right this time then there will be less work needed in the future. i.e just a quick wax every couple months or so.

Chemical guys citrus foam and 15ml hyper wash in your bottle topped up
    with hottish water for your foaming.

Clay bar: Go with the bilt hamber stuff it's the best no need for a QD use with water.

Windows: AG's fast glass or even better than than that stoners invisible glass.

Wheels: A decent polish then a topcoat of chemical guys ez-cream glaze it's a sealant aswell
    and will give a deep gloss shine to your alloys.

Drying: make sure you get a decent drying towel and I would use a drying aid either DoDo time to dry or a CG QD very important
    not to miss this out with the colour of car you have.

It's all about using the best practice when washing the car as this is when most of the swirls and scratches get done to the cars paintwork.
    Last edited by Scottie; 23rd March 2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    i started to read this thread and had to check the date as I thought it was the 1st April...

Wheels - Megs Wheel Brightner to clean then seal with PoorBoys Wheel Sealant

Windows - AG Fast Glass

Trim - I only use AG Bumper Gel once and a while, rest of the time I just use liquid wax over the top.

Polish - AG SRP

Wax - Collinite 476S or 915 (gives months of protection and beading which will appeal to you. ) I only apply this stuff 2 or 3 times a year. Rest of the time I give the car a quick run over with Turtle Wax Nano-tech Speed Wax. Works Great..

That is my recommendations anyway..

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Ok, i've started a wee list
    But, i know i already have Meguiars shampoo, so am gonna use that and also i have Meguiars Gold Class Polish, I have a clay bar...................somewhere and will use it, what else do i need to compliment the paintwork?

Dare to call your next run 'manky'

'You've changed'

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post

Dare to call your next run 'manky'

'You've changed'
    Well, he's started a journey down a long and winding road.

A.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    ffs, all this just to wash the car
    The clay bar i have is 2 years old, at least, never been opened