Spax Coilovers fitted, now have driveshaft vibration!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GCA3N
    Wanted to see this as I thought it may look daft. However it does look good, think however you are going to have to go back up a bit. Trial and error raise it up a bit, go out and test it, see if the fault dissapears.

Harry Fairbairn Sponsor
    Just one of those unfortunate things... Mine was dropped as low as that on KW Variant 1 Coilovers and i suffered the oh so common vibration problem... Its linked to your CV Joints, because they are sitting at a new angle outwith there normal operational.. you may be lucky and they will eventually work in a new groove and your vibrations may be gone. I have heard that vibrations have disappeared over time on a few cars as a result of this...

I ran mine for 6 months but never really got rid of the vibrations until i raised it back up to an acceptable height... The only thing i can suggest is to try raise it slightly ie 3/4/5mm at a time and road test and see and if your still getting vibrations.. If so raise a bit more and road test.. You will eventually find a happy medium and vibrations will be gone (normally around 30mm).. I had to raise mine to approx a 40mm drop to overcome it and car still sat very low...

I eventually got rid of mine as the high offset of the JCW R105 48et wheels wore right through my front spring perches and on the inside of the wheel and wrecked my inner rims... still got a bit of catching after fitting 5mm Eibach Spacers.... So off they went to be replaced by my current JCW Suspension set up which i love albeit that the car is only lowered by 10mm now...

The other thing to note when running your car that low is the massive negative camber on the back.. My rear tyres lasted a mere 5 months and were worn right through on the inner edge... I would advise on adjustable rear control arms to prevent this... Alta or Eibach variants are very good...

I loved my car slammed and yours looks good too its just a shame that some MINIs and it is just limited to some suffer from these Vibrations..

Good Luck and hopefully this has helped a little

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I doubt your handling will be as good as the factory setting, 60mm is, in my opinion too far to drop, but, if it's looks your after, then that's your choice.

Well in the long run if you keep running your car at that height and with the vibrations due to the ride height then your just going to end up destroying both your driveshafts and all your CV joints!!! So i would recommend raising it up till you no longer have the vibrations.

Gaz-Muir
    Im going to lift it 10mm and see how it is. Ive had a look at the driveshaft angles and they dont look that bad. Ive certainly had cars with much worse with no problems at all..

So it is a known of problem, that when theyre low they may get a vibration??

Gaz-Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivano View Post
    I eventually got rid of mine as the high offset of the JCW R105 48et wheels wore right through my front spring perches and on the inside of the wheel and wrecked my inner rims... still got a bit of catching after fitting 5mm Eibach Spacers.... So off they went to be replaced by my current JCW Suspension set up which i love albeit that the car is only lowered by 10mm now...

The other thing to note when running your car that low is the massive negative camber on the back.. My rear tyres lasted a mere 5 months and were worn right through on the inner edge... I would advise on adjustable rear control arms to prevent this... Alta or Eibach variants are very good...
    Thanks mate, i have 5mm spacers fitted too as the wheels were just catching the coilover and no more.

Ill also be getting the rear camber sorted out!

Harry Fairbairn Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz-Muir View Post
    Im going to lift it 10mm and see how it is. Ive had a look at the driveshaft angles and they dont look that bad. Ive certainly had cars with much worse with no problems at all..

So it is a known of problem, that when theyre low they may get a vibration??

And saying that most of the guys in the States run their cars crazy low and have no vibrations...

Johnleiper
    i ran my spax suuuuper duuuper low as low and had no vibrations. just luck id say.. the strut tops did start to "bow" tho so extra bracing is often a good idea

Gaz-Muir
    Its almost ne now, and i havent done anything!

Car
    Cooper S
    Doesnt look excessively low to me, about a 50mm drop. Still not sure what the issue is, doubt it is to do with the angle of the driveshafts though. maybe damaged a driveshaft when fitting them? are your sure the vibration is coming from the driveshaft?