50th Anniversary Whalen

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    No not 50 years of Whalen, but 50 years of Mini

Doug over at Whalen shift machine has designed a special knob to commemorate 50 years of mini/MINI, he is doing a limited edition run of 50 knobs (each individually numbered) and Im in the middle of putting together a deal with him if we buy a few. Current price is going to come in about the 100 quid mark, the more people we get the more leverage we have to bring the price down a little. Now to those of you who havent used a Whalen Knob that might sound like a lot of money but those people who have used them will confirm that not only are they beautifully made they also give a more positive gear shift. he knobs are available in polished, brushed, bead-blasted, and combinations polished/brushed and bead-blasted/brushed. The first two pics below show the bead blasted, and the last pic shows the brushed (sorry I got that wrong earlier, if anyone wants to change the finish they have picked let me know).

Until I was looking at Dougs site I hadnt realised that the R56 knob was a different fitting, Doug can do them to fit the R56 but needs to know up front who wants R56 and who doesnt. Its also a little trickier to fit a R56 knob but nothing too difficult.

If people are interested post in this thread so I can get a rough idea of numbers (also confirm if your car is an R56). Only other word of caution , I have had 5 knobs from Doug and once I got stung for customs charges (although they werent much) , if I bring a lot of knobs into the country and get stung I will be expecting every one to chip in to cover their share of the charge, I will do some digging and find out what the approximate charge for a knob would be.

I also find the Whalen is a good anti theft device, if you remove the knob it does make it difficult to drive the car, but better still if you catch the thief you can wallop em with it , cause they aint half heavy

Anyway below are some pics of the knob, and Im going to stop typing now cause I feel like Im delveloping tourettes typing knob every second word

List so far

Martin Brushed
    Gismo blasted (wants number 50)
    Gismo blasted classic (wants number 49 <rolls eyes>)
    Zimbo blasted R56
    Volvic blasted classic (wants number 12)
    Last edited by MartinSullivan; 11th March 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Forbes
    Look really good, but out of my price range.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Put me down for number 50, brushed

Yeah sounds good to me so long as it doesnt go much higher than that . (R56 please) brushed please x 1

GP BILLY
    Can it be make to fit a classic mini?????

If I would be up for 1

Quote Originally Posted by volvic View Post
    Can it be make to fit a classic mini?????

If I would be up for 1
    Spooky Doug must be watching this thread He has just emailed me re classic knobs, if someone can find the pertinent dimensions he will look into it. If I remember rightly the classic knob is a thread fitting so guess he would need the length and pitch of the thread on the lever. If someone can provide that info then it should be a goer I reckon Gismo might have a classic one too , then he could have matching knobs

Another example of a custom Whalen

Dont think its our Gismo, but if anyone does want custom knobs Im sure we could maybe get them done in the same shipment.

For other examples check out Dougs gallery

Whalen Gallery

GP BILLY
    I have 1 in the GP thats why I would like
    1 in volvic

Volvic, another returning customer lol
    Well if you can come up with the measurements I reckon Doug will do it

Quote Originally Posted by volvic View Post
    I have 1 in the GP thats why I would like
    1 in volvic
    The knob is bigger than the car, thats impressive - suppose this is but its my thread lol