Runflats on 5th Gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gcampbell
    Anyone see the Runflat tyre piece in 5th Gear last night???

Don't care how much extra the rubber costs... it must be worth it!!

However old Tiff could've done a better job in the Mini Vs Skoda!:(

GAJ
    The ride with runflats is rubbish though and the grip with the Goodyear NCTs is poor too. I've never tried the Dunlops. Since changing to non runflats I've noticed less road noise and a lot more grip.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Hi Graeme. What did they say about runflats in 5th gear? We don't get channel 5 here.

gcampbell
    Duncan...

It was an article showed a blow out on normal tyres (police car doing 95mph!!! very scary!) then it went onto showing what happens when u suffer a front tyre blow out and a rear tyre blow out... Fundamentally in both instances the car lost control and spun!

Tiff then drove a new BMW 5 series with all 4 runflats punctured round the race circuit (he was hitting 90mph whilst cornering...!!) Although more unstable than infalted tyres, it was amazing to see how fast he could go and still be in control...!

No prices were mentioned but they quoted "10 - 15% more expensive for runflat tyres" as guidance...

Resident old yin.
    quote:Originally posted by gcampbell

No prices were mentioned but they quoted "10 - 15% more expensive for runflat tyres" as guidance...
    I think most people would say they are a LOT more than 15% extra over the cost of regular tyres unfortunately.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    quote:The ride with runflats is rubbish though
    I don't find much difference between the standard 15" Michelin's on my steelies and my 17" Dunlop runflats on my alloys to be honest albeit the 'One' suspension is a bit more forgiving :approve:
    quote:grip with the Goodyear NCTs is poor too
    I've got NCT's all round on my Mondeho and they give excellent grip and about 28,000 miles out of the front pair which ain't bad.
    Grip wise the worst tyre I've ever had were Dunlop SP Sports. They were crap in the damp/wet. I spun my Mondeo on the M74 off ramp at Glasgow Zoo and I wasn't going THAT fast.............scared the crap out of me I can tell you. That part of the motorway is 2 flyovers high.......big drop :dead: luckily it was early one Sunday morning and it spun within the 2 lanes and never hit anything....phew :I
    Best tyres have to be Yokohama A008R Fan-bloody-tastic only got 8,500 miles though :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Sponsor & Jakey
    quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I've never tried the Dunlops. Since changing to non runflats I've noticed less road noise and a lot more grip.
    But then, you do have an exceptionally lovely set of wheels and tyres Gary
    Seriously, I've yet to drive a tyre that grips better in the wet than the Goodyear F1's :approve: If Stouffer was here he could testify to that.
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

Car
    Mini Cooper
    How common are "Blow outs" - I've must have done a million miles by now and never suffered one. Even recently when my tyre sidewall was ripped open by some debris on the road the tyre still just went down quickly - did not "blow out" - and I was fully in control - just pulled to the side a bit.

Starky
    Yep, seen the article, i think it's a fine balance between performance and safety and i'll stick with the runflats, they can only get cheaper as they become more "mainstream".

gcampbell
    Whats the going rate for a 16" runflat... I'm still on my originals??
    (16" mini 5 star alloys..)