Craig's New Year Challenge

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Car
    R53 GP
    as everyone says good on you & good luck with it

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Best of luck mate.

As you know, I need to lose some weight too for health reasons also. Maybe we should team up on this. Not so easy for us both to go running together mind you.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

euan
    Badminton is great, we used to play that after work twice a week (we tried squash but all our knees started to pack up!). As it's short bursts it would help your football too.

Key things are getting your body the right fuel though. Lots of water, cut out the booze (I stopped drinking for a few weeks and lost 3 pounds by that alone) and loads of veg and fruit. But watch you don't go too mad as fruit also has sugar in it. It's a minefield

Keep your aims achievable though otherwise you lose interest.

If your going to start running, I found a few running sites based on Google Maps that let you map out your route and see how far your going. Of course, it doesn't take into account hills and the like, but it's good to track it out as you soon get faster and cover more miles. If it wasn't so blooming cold, I'd keep the running up all year but I'm definitely a summer runner!

my best advice is join weight watchers (for men) yes you men can join now and get support online. Get the best support possible from people that know.

As for exercise start small i.e walking and then build it up.

Craig your like me we are both obese and you just can't "go for it" on the exercise front especially with your current health problems.

I would recommend the Rosemary Connelly books for what to eat (wok) this has been the only one that worked for me and that I can stick with.

Not wanting to spend the money with WW I started back on the RC one yesterday after 6 years of last being on a serious diet. me and my pals have just about tried every single diet possible.

Best of luck the first few weeks the llbs will be all water that you loose but after that try to aim for 2lb per week.
    Cooper Coupe...

Smitty
    Good luck Craig, and you good you on

I'm running the London Marathon so you can always tag along on long distance runs to up the fitness??

No......must just me me that's mad then!!

I shed 5 st by not eting after 7pm. & cutting my carb intake in half.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalhunter View Post
    I shed 5 st by not eting after 7pm. & cutting my carb intake in half.
    Cutting your carb intake is what helped you then, because it's a myth that eating in the evening is any worse then eating during the day. It's your total calorific intake that affects you more than when you take those calories.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Good Luck with your diet.
    Keeping us all informed of your progress may help your motivation.
    Stephen & Allyson

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

As for exercise start small i.e walking and then build it up.

Craig your like me we are both obese and you just can't "go for it" on the exercise front especially with your current health problems.
    I'll shut up then. I'm not saying run a marathon, just doing small stuff really helps. When I started running I was overweight, only ran 10 minutes at a small jog as that was all I could manage, even then I chose to run on flat bits as hills were a nightmare. But the difference it made was massive. The key to it was a little and often. 10 minutes three times a week soon became 20 minutes, then 30, and then I did a few 10Ks, with the times dropping every time. All from a small 10 minute run when I couldn't do anymore. Damn near nearly killed me at first though.

Personally, I'm not a big diet fan, I've yet to see anyone keep it off permanently that way. Maybe it does work for some people though. It's a lifestyle change that keeps it off, an understanding of what you put in, support from friends and family and a desire to lose the weight and keep it off. I don't eat like an angel, far from it, but if we have a pizza at night, we have salad for lunch, all about a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by euan View Post
    I'll shut up then. I'm not saying run a marathon, just doing small stuff really helps. When I started running I was overweight, only ran 10 minutes at a small jog as that was all I could manage, even then I chose to run on flat bits as hills were a nightmare. But the difference it made was massive. The key to it was a little and often. 10 minutes three times a week soon became 20 minutes, then 30, and then I did a few 10Ks, with the times dropping every time. All from a small 10 minute run when I couldn't do anymore. Damn near nearly killed me at first though.

Personally, I'm not a big diet fan, I've yet to see anyone keep it off permanently that way. Maybe it does work for some people though. It's a lifestyle change that keeps it off, an understanding of what you put in, support from friends and family and a desire to lose the weight and keep it off. I don't eat like an angel, far from it, but if we have a pizza at night, we have salad for lunch, all about a balance.
    I'll tell what fitness and finatic = Allan and what Allan = is total knackered joints

but TBH Allan will admit to being worse than a finatic to the extreme in fact eg carrying 85lbs on the back running 30 miles under 8 hours and on the bench pushing up 150kg and he wonders why everything at the age of 41 is goosed.
    Cooper Coupe...