How to... fit new down tubes

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    This is a How To thread for fitting replacement down tubes to an R50/R53 first generation MINI. Mine is a face lift model, not sure if there are major differences between face lift and pre face lift. I think pre face lift is a tad easier as there is no flange at the bottom of the tube, but don't quote me on that.

Tools:
    1 X 30 size torx screwdriver.
    1 X small ish cross head screwdriver.
    1 X very thin blade flat head screwdriver or think knife.
    1 X fairly large flat blade screwdriver.

Pic of down tubes before we start. As you can see, I already have the leather dash fitted. I did this last Jan or Feb. Didn't do a how to for that, sorry.

1st, locate the two torx 30 screws at the far side of each down tube.

The bottom screw on each down tube will come out no problem, but on the top one for the passenger side you will need to drop the glove box down. On the drivers side you will need to prise the dash down underneath the steering wheel. To do this cover your large flat blade screwdriver in a micro fibre cloth and insert between the top dash section underneath the air vent, and the bottom dash section. Prise gently upwards and that side of the dash will pop down. The very bottom of the bottom section is on hinges. Repeat this process for the section to the left of the steering wheel. You should find the dash pops down and hangs on its hinge.

You then have easier access to the torx screw at the top of the right side down tube. It's still not a straight angle, luckily torx lends itself to being able to unscrew a screw at a bit of an angle.

Once you have all 4 torx screws out of the down tubes, using the knife or small flat bladed screwdriver, prise up the panel which holds the mirror controls and heated seat buttons (if fitted). Unscrew the cross head screws found underneath. Use a magnetized screwdriver for this - you don't wanna lose a screw down there.

Take the loose cup holders out of their housing and unscrew the two screws found at the bottom.

The whole centre console housing the gear lever and cup holders should then pull backward and clip out from underneath the storage area which is directly under the dash.

You can then carefully lever UP the right side of the center console and slide the existing down tube DOWN and out of the housing. Not sure if it makes a huge difference if you do the right side first, but I couldn't get the left side out until I had done the right side.

Once you've pulled both down tubes out, replace, starting with the left and then the right. You will need to push the tube firmly upwards to relocate the sockets for the 4 torx screws. I haven't taken any pics of the installation process as it is exactly the same as the removal process, except in reverse, obviously.

Just remember to slide the center console back under the clips on the housing under the dash, put the screws back in under the mirror control panel, and clip the panel back in place. Then replace the two screws in the cup holders.

Easy!

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Smitty
    Good guide Andy

What I would say to anyone following is be careful when bringing up the mirror controls and it's very easy to loose the clips that keep them in place within the midst of the center console! Took me a good 10 minutes of fishing to get one out of a very small and awkward hole!

Car
    MINI Clubman JCW / Nissan Pulsar GTiR / Volvo V40 D4 R Design
    Very nice guide, well done

I was a bit unsure as to whether I'd like the leather dash, but it looks really good on yours - that must've been fun to fit, quite a few moments??

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMischief View Post
    Very nice guide, well done

I was a bit unsure as to whether I'd like the leather dash, but it looks really good on yours - that must've been fun to fit, quite a few moments??

To be honest, the leather dash was really easy to fit as well. Otherwise there's no way I'd have managed it.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Think I'll just keep mine standard

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination